Author Topic: Vintage Tyco Twin Turbo Hopper find  (Read 4161 times)

tfaiken

• Copper Level
Vintage Tyco Twin Turbo Hopper find
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:20 »
Hi everyone,

I have recently been getting back in to rc cars. In doing so, I remembered that I recieved a nice Tyco twin turbo hopper way back in the 80's for Christmas one year. It was my pride and joy, and I can remember looking at it longingly as it sat in the display at the local Toys R Us along with assembled Tamiya blackfoots, hornets and the sister twin turbo lamborghini (same drivetrain I believe). I drove it for a few months before we moved. I packed it back in its box, and hadn't seen it since.

On a lark, I looked for it at my parent's house on memorial day. I figured it was long gone because I hadn't seen it in 23 years. However, lo and behold I found it in a closet where it had been sitting in the box all this time. It was like opening a time capsule. Absolutely everything was still in the box, including a tiny set of spare clips that I'm assuming are for the steering servos. The original energizer battery was still in the remote, and not only was there not a speck of corrosion, but it still worked! I opened the instructions and charged the battery for the requisite four hours. The car worked like a champ, and seemed to work just as well as it did in my distant memory. Everyone I showed it to was amazed at the condition for its age, although I was always very careful (some would say anal) with my toys as a kid.

It's in excellent condition, and the only scratches are on the decal on the spoiler, and the warning sticker on the undercarriage. The tires still look good, and the decals are all still in generally perfect condition. I dusted it with a micro fiber cloth, but stopped short of any other sort of cleaning, even though there's still a thin layer of dust that probably needs to be wiped off with something else. I am considering selling it, but not sure what I'm going to charge at this point. I have included a couple pictures as well. I have more pictures and video of it running if anyone is interested.

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
Re: Vintage Tyco Twin Turbo Hopper find
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:16 »
you can always put it on ebay and let the consumers decide what it's worth.

sardav

• Copper Level
Re: Vintage Tyco Twin Turbo Hopper find
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:33:44 »
Just realised that you did another post listing it on ebay :)