Author Topic: Tyco motors?  (Read 9546 times)

5WheelScorcher

• Copper Level
Tyco motors?
« on: December 25, 2012, 20:12:49 »
I was wondering if anyone knew the performance of the Mabuchi motors in the Tyco's, like the how many turns? Or maybe a hypothesis; I searched on the internet to no avail. It looks like there used to be markings on my Hi-jacker motor, but they've worn away.

I know the Hopper/Bandit chassis had at least two different 280 motors and the Fast Traxx and Scorchers had 370's.

June the wolf

• Copper Level
Re: Tyco motors?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 22:39:44 »
Not sure about motor performance, but i do know that:

- mabuchi 370 is in the fast traxx (x2), hi jacker, scorcher, eliminator, and possibly the blaster

- same motor in super fast traxx is in hammer as well

The dealer catalog thread is helpful. Got a partial speadsheet on tyco specs.

5WheelScorcher

• Copper Level
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:45:36 »
Thanks, I found that the Hi-Jacker has a RK-370SD through the catalog, I have my Hi-Jacker apart and it's kinda hard to tell a 280 from a 370 from looking. I was speculating if it was a 370, but the markings are worn out on the motor. I have a much lower mile Eliminator, but I don't feel like pulling the motor.

I was wondering if this motor would work, and if so would be a mild upgrade at 30 turns or just a stock replacement? That's why I was thinking about the stock motor performance.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGLK3&P=7#tech

And anyone have one press on axle nut? I lost it like 10-15 years ago. Then I can put my beater Hi-jacker back on the road.

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 20:53:51 »
you might be able to make a nut. hit the hardware store and find the size that fits in the slot. then drill it under and press it in

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:12 »
Your best bet is to make threads on the axle then drill open a factory hex so that you can run a barrel nut on the axle inside the hex. Then you will always be able to remove and replace the wheels easy. That is real similar to what I did on my mini crawler to make the nikko scorpion wheels fit except I didnt have to drill.

You can buy barrel nuts from rc4wd like mine then tap and dye as needed.

Also, the factory press on nut will never hold right again.

Now that I think about it, I might have to go do that to one of my bandits
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 16:10:23 »
yeah thats simple. just screw a nut on there. Do you have a die set to make threads?

5WheelScorcher

• Copper Level
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 17:16:10 »
I really thought about doing that, but I was afraid that the nut would unthread itself too easily. I guess a drop of thread locker would help.

I have a set of bandit wheels and I noticed that the hex part is deeper on the HJ wheels, and the HJ nut doesn't sit flush in the bandit wheel. So they actually made a nice improvement for strength.

What about the Electrifly motor? Or since I'm sure I have to hobby grade this thing maybe I should get one of those Insane 370s like the guy with the Bandit. It might be better in a HJ with the lower center of gravity; and maybe I'll put a cheap gyro in there to see what it does lol.

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 21:36:58 »
yeah thread lock will work or you can use a lock nut.

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 22:07:58 »
If you buy the right size barrel but or use a washer or 2 it shouldn't back off.

I ran an insane 370 motor in my wild thing and now I run it in my losi mini crawler. I run the trinity 380 mini monster maxx in my radio shack offroader and its really powerful on 7.4v lipo, either will make it haul ass
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

5WheelScorcher

• Copper Level
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 23:48:53 »
Another thing, it looks to me like the pinion gear has a closed bell end. Do you guys grind that off so a pinion puller can work on it?

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:39 »
I had one off a truck i just wrapped my fingers around it and pulled it off.
Think I still might have that pinion floating in a box at my parents place.

TRAXX_GUY

• Copper Level
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:40 »
 I typed up mubachi rk 370 on ebay and found lots of 5 for $15 and theres even some with 8T pinions like for the fast traxx. The tamiya tamtech gea SPT or sport tned motors will work in the fast traxx if you want more performance. That motor is a mubachi motor also.
     Good luck!