Author Topic: PS3 for my birthday  (Read 7291 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
PS3 for my birthday
« on: August 24, 2009, 16:40:16 »
The new 120GB PS3 (slim) is expected to be released September 1st, 2009 based on what I was told at Best Buy. The sales associate there said they expected them to be available at the store the following week. So I guess I'll be getting a PS3 for my birthday!  ;D
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: PS3 for my birthday
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:10:37 »
Yay!!! I can't wait to see that mean machine!!

We'll have to plan a day...I can bring my games over, and a blu ray movie and we'll just have a day o' Playstation 3!!!

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:15 »
Does anyone have a 4 player game?
That would be cool to play with four people.

Count me in, I have a few games I can bring.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 14:23:43 »
I just have a couple 1 player games for it. The only other one that I was considering picking up at this point was MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, which has 2-player split screen.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:41:57 »
Wait, you have games for a system you don't own, yet?

You must have been a Boy Scout, 'cause that's what I call 'being prepared'.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:18 »
I like having a few options from the start. I own The Orange Box and Burnout Paradise.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 15:01:50 »
Well, there you go.  Portal tournament! ;D
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 23:55:14 »
For that matter, we could even take turns racing crashing through stuff in Burnout Paradise if anyone has enough interest in that.

We might be going to Orlando on my birthday, so I wouldn't say to plan for anything that day, but we could definitely have a PS3 day on the game day following my birthday, which would be Sep 23rd. Of course, we could mix in some board games too if we want... whatever sounds fun for everyone.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:53 »
I'm okay with competing at crashing cars in Burnout, I have done this type of thing before.
I think since it's your b-day, and you kind of brought us all together with your website, you go ahead and plan the day out. Just my opinion.

Mac

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 18:18:14 »
As per the voice-mail I left you...the new one is NOT backwards compatible....if that matters to you.  It does to Hunter...

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/is-now-the-time-to-buy-a-playstation-3-/1348503

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:20 »
Thanks for the message. I was actually out BUYING by PS3 around the time that you called. ;) I knew it was going to be out on the first but decided to go check the store because their website already showed them being available here. There were 3 on the shelf when I walked in yesterday. I wonder how many were available by the time they opened today.

Oh... and since I haven't ever owned a PS2 (that worked), I don't have any of those games (anymore) anyways, just PS1 games, which are still supposed to be compatible (most of them anyway).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:04:45 by Dragon »

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 20:56:09 »
Did your PS1 games work?  I thought it wasn't backwards compatible at all. ???

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:34:32 »
After playing Burnout Paradise tonight, I put Tekken 3 in there and it started up just fine. I didn't try playing it, just watched the intro, but it seemed to be just fine so far. I'll probably try out some more tomorrow.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:45 »
Now that I've played Burnout Paradise, as much as I love it, I don't think it's as good of a candidate for a "hot-seat" (group of players handing a single controller around) crash competition as a previous version that I've played. The game is very open, and there's lots of driving around looking races to run, for things to smash into, or other "drivers" (this seems to be the term that they use only for your competition, not for the other casual drivers on the road) that you can try to "takedown" and get their car.

That being said, I hope to have MotorStorm: Pacific Rift soon. My brother has it but said he never plays it because he's addicted to GTA. It's got a two-player split-screen mode, so that would be cool for party time.

The only multi-player games I have at this point are PS1 games, which are cool, but definitely won't show off the power of the PS3. What PS3 games do you guys have?