Author Topic: Web-Based Boardgaming Get-Togethers  (Read 27519 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Web-Based Boardgaming Get-Togethers
« on: August 29, 2009, 23:04:06 »
During the course of running a guild in World of Warcraft, I have invested in a Ventrilo server.  Ventrilo is an online voice-chat service like Team Speak and others.  My server can accomodate up to 35 people at one time, in order to cover those larger raids. :) 

I was thinking it might be nice to put it to use for our purposes to do some online gaming like Brettspielwelt, or something while being able to voice chat.  This might be nice to look forward to once or twice a week.  Something we can do for a couple hours in an evening without you guys having to be away from your families.  That way, if there's something to take care of, you can go "afk" to deal with it, then come back.   

Also, if you have friends that you'd like to invite to join us, like your Cali friends, Charles, or my friend from Atlanta, we can get some larger groups going.

What do you guys think?  If you're interested, we can discuss some days and times that would be good for everyone involved, and I can send you the vent info.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Web-Based Boardgaming Get-Togethers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 18:29:26 »
I like the concept!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:07:34 »
Alright, so what times/evening(s) sound good for you?

I'd also like to throw in www.eyeplaygames.com as an online resource for getting our Robo Rally fix.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:45:05 »
The Robo Rally one sounds cool to me.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:32:15 »
 ::)  oookayyy... so what times/evening(s) sound good for you?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 14:55:41 »
How about the alternating Wednesdays during weeks that we don't have other events? Later in the evening is better for me, but I'm sure that other people would rather have something earlier.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 15:34:22 »
Okiedoke...  Next Wednesday around 8pm, I'll start a game and invite everyone who comments on this thread after this point with a note saying that they've signed up to the eyeplaygames.com site.  Make sure to give your robot's name as well. 

I'll put the vent info on the in-game chat window of the first game.

So before next Wednesday, make sure you have downloaded Ventrilo (the client it's free), and make sure you have set up an account on eyeplaygames (also free).

See you there.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 17:58:23 »
I'll be there!

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:09:12 »
I'll do my best to be there. Wednesdays are going to start getting busy due to the new programming on TV. 8pm should be manageable.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 20:25:54 »
Okay... since no one actually replied back with the name of their robot, can I assume zero interest? ???

I created a game, and tried inviting people based on their Dragons Hobbies names, and Wyldwing was the only one I was able to successfully find.  However, since he never told me for sure, I'm not positive that the Wyldwing on the game site is actually Charles. 

Just saying, "Yes, I'll be there" doesn't do any good.  If you want to do one of these, then I NEED your robot name or I can't invite you. 

And given people's schedules, I think that trying to get everyone on at the same time is a fools errand... so let's just try doing it the way that the site intended and just check in and play when you're able.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 21:53:44 »
Sorry, I hadn't replied before with my name. I'm pretty sure that dragon76n was my username and I'm trying to get my password reset now.

Good point about the schedules though. I'm going to try to be online tomorrow evening around 8PM.

Update: I just got an email back from the administration at eyeplaygames.com. Apparently my account has been inactive too long or something and has been suspended. I'm trying to get it reactivated.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 07:04:56 »
As I mentioned in another thread, I have a mandatory office dinner tonight.

Honestly, though...even after tonight I have too many things taking up my time.  As we're doing every other Wednesday get togethers, I don't want to take away more time from the family.

And I do like our every other Wednesdays...so count me out for the online get togethers.  :(  But if it keeps our in-person get togethers going...I'm all for it.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:45 »
Ok, exactly why I'm saying don't worry about trying to do it at any one time... this works like Dragon's Conquest game.  All you have to do is check on it once a day, 5 minutes tops.  Forget about Wednesdays.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:13 »
I'm still waiting on my account to be reactivated. I was thinking that it was more like Bretspeilwelt too, but it has been quite a while since I've been on there and I didn't really look around much recently.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:37 »
I'm signed up.
robot name= tampamac

I've completed the first two training missions. I feel like I'm ready to give it a go.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!