Author Topic: Technical Trials and Tribulations  (Read 4966 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Technical Trials and Tribulations
« on: May 01, 2015, 00:19:26 »
Earlier this week I installed Lubuntu 15.04 on my wife's computer. It's an old PC that originally had Windows Vista installed on it, but even when it was new it seemed sluggish. For a while now, we've had Ubuntu installed on there, with a dual boot option for Windows 7. Years ago, my wife stopped using that computer in favor of a newer laptop that she had, but that laptop has since been mutilated by the children. Now the old Vista machine has moved back to a prominent place in the dining room. Unfortunately, Ubuntu was still sometimes a bit too heavy for that old hardware, so I kept looking around for something that, hopefully, wouldn't be so likely to lock up.

Lubuntu installed nicely - it even going so far as to "upgrade" from Ubuntu 14.04, so our files weren't wiped out in. The computer seems to be running more smoothly, more responsive, and so far, in the past few days, no lockups that I've seen. My only complaint is that now I can't find that machine on my home network. I'm sure I did something with SAMBA to get Ubuntu to share some folders on the network so that I could back them up, but now, that something, is missing. I guess next time I need to do a better job of documenting my home experiments. At work I try to hard to keep good documentation about my projects... I guess the lack of structure at home allows the chaos to expand here.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Beth

• Bronze Level
Re: Technical Trials and Tribulations
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:22:55 »
Thank you for setting that up. It does seem to be working better. You are my computer everything. Love you.
My shoes aren't on the wrong feet.  These are my feet.