Author Topic: Tekken 6  (Read 4602 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Tekken 6
« on: January 07, 2010, 19:42:40 »
I've played it some now... not a lot, since I'm more focused on MW2 still when I have a chance to get to my PS3, but have you guys played Tekken 6 yet? Ok. Graphically and general game play wise, it's great... just the same thing you'd always expect from Tekken. However... here's my complaint... it feels like I got a game that has already been beaten. Have you ever bought a used game (not in modern systems, but those a bit older) that had a game saved and it was right at the end? Well... that's what it's like. Strangely, most of the reviews that I have now read consider that one of the greatest things about the game.

Ok. Maybe more explanation is needed. All the previous Tekken games have a handful of guys, maybe half of the entire set, that are available to play as from the beginning. When you beat the game with a guy, it would unlock one of those guys, like the sub-boss that you had to beat before getting to the big guy. There were even some cheezy side games that you had to play to unlock a couple other characters.

Well now... the developers though, "no one wants to unlock characters, especially when there is online mode." Personally, I hate online mode. Much like Mac mentioned with MW2, Tekken 6 puts you against just about anybody, even when you choose to get matched up based on ranks. However, unlike MW2, this is just one-on-one, so when you get unfairly matched up there's no team mates to help you out. It's just you and the wall.

Aside from online mode, the offline mode is kind of slow in between matches unless you "Install" the game to make it run faster. Why should it take 20 seconds for me to get back into the game when I get beat and have to Continue?

The customization stuff seems just stupid too. They allow you to customize what your character is wearing or scars and the hair color, etc. but in addition to being a pointless thing in the fight, the customizations "cost" so much it's crazy. You get G credits when you win matches and after fighting through and winning two tournaments I don't have enough credits to buy a pair of pants. You'd think that a tournament winner could at least pick up a cheap pair of khaki's with a portion of the prize money.

Even if I skip online mode and install the game, the primary focus of this game appears to be the cheezy Scenario Mode. No... it's not the greatest. After all, when I play Tekken I'm not looking for an updated version of Bad Dudes. In Tekken 3, that was just a side game, not a big deal. Now apparently it's a major thing, with just about all of the offline trophies being based on that.

That leads me back to my real complaint, there is nothing to unlock. At least not in any traditional way that I've noticed. I liked unlocking characters. It game me a sense of accomplishment in the single player game. Otherwise I might as well just wait until someone comes over to play. I've beat the game with 2 different characters. There were no movies unlocked, no characters unlocked... ok... I got a trophy the first time I "Offline Mode."

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from such a long standing favorite series.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Tekken 6
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:36:09 »
When I read the reviews on Tekken 6, I thought "that's wierd...all playable from the get-go?".  Part of the fun for me is unlocking all of the rewards.  So I think I'd feel pretty much like you.

One of the reasons I chose to purchase Soul Caliber IV, which, if you'd like to borrow, we can swap for awhile.  But the unlockables there are so much fun.  Characters, weapons, clothing...and the character design feature is kind of fun.  I spent quite a bit of time designing my "almost-nude" amazonian hottie to defeat people.  And online play was fun...until I got Owned by some 8 years olds online...you know how that is.

One interesting feature that I've enjoyed with customer creation is Tiger Woods Golf.  I believe they had this feacher in 2007 and 2008...I don't know if it continues.  But it's called "GameFace" and it allows you to scan in front face and side face pictures of yourself that it uses as a base for the look of your player, which you can then modify in any way you wish...Very cool!!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Tekken 6
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 22:20:41 »
That GameFace feature does sound pretty cool for customizing your characters.

I wouldn't mind borrowing Soul Caliber for a while as a swap for Tekken 6 at some point.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

alfredTifyicomi

• Copper Level
Tekken 6
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:09 »
No, Crypto, Im pretty sure the endings in TTT were all pre-rendered.   

So whos all getting Tekken 4 on Friday? I wasnt going to, but after going back and playing DOA3, VF4, and TTT, I decided that my heart belongs to Tekken... Im getting it.   

Kolgar