Author Topic: Leap Year Bug hits older PS3  (Read 4393 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Leap Year Bug hits older PS3
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:42 »
My brother called me up yesterday saying that he couldn't get onto Modern Warfare 2. Apparently there was a problem that affected many older PS3 systems. A "24-hour bug" that seems to have been brought to light because of a Leap Year problem came to light yesterday because it wasn't a leap year. Sony advised that PS3 owners leave their game systems off for the day. Some interesting comments came up on PCWorld about this.

Quote from: http://www.pcworld.com/article/190418/leave_your_playstation_3_off_or_else_warns_sony.html/
Quote from: JackStraw
sad that such a "new", sophisticated piece of [hard/soft/firm]ware still has y2k bugs. what makes this funnier and more embarrassing for the developers is that it's not even a leap year.

Quote from: berg0011
I wish this year was a leap year, we wouldn't be having this issue if it was...

Bios clock thinks a leap year is every two years, front end knows that it's every four. Front end gets a wrong date and blows up reverting to zero or in bios time 0 = 1/1/2000 @ 12:00:00am. This causes everything in the system with a time stamp after that to go corrupt and no connection to network due to invalid time issues.

Just going to wait another 2 and a half hours until GMT hits 00:00 to flip to March second.

Note: bios time chip was selected by Sony, not programmed by Sony.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Leap Year Bug hits older PS3
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 16:34:38 »
glad I didn't log on yesterday,
It's fixed now, or so they say.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Leap Year Bug hits older PS3
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:29:11 »
Ditto!  Busy season has helped me!! Woo Hoo!@