Author Topic: Madden Arcade  (Read 3942 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Madden Arcade
« on: February 16, 2010, 13:36:02 »
Madden Arcade went on sale for $9.99 from the PS3 Store so I decided to get it. Its a fun little football game, that has a bit of Tecmo Bowl spirit (*for those old NES players*).

The game is played to 30 points, there are no kickers (all kicks are considered automatic), and there are ONLY 4 downs allowed before turnovers - period! If you don't make a touchdown, that's too bad. There are some cool things that make it an "Arcade" style game though. "Game Breakers" are little bonuses that each team gets, sometimes with a new one available each play. Game Breakers allow players to speed up the play, slow it down, freeze an opponent's player, cause easier fumbles, or even bring in an Entourage! Each team is made up of just 5 players on offense and 5 on defense, and the field is only 60 yards, so action is quick. There are no time limits - no quarters or timeouts, just a battle for 30 points. When a team makes a touchdown they can take the extra point kick (1 pt automatic), or try for a 2-pt conversion. One other aspect to the game is that there are only 4 plays in the playbook - Run (Blitz on defense), Short, Medium, or Deep pass (or zone if on defense), so it's quite apparent that the gameplay is going to be quick.

The downside that I see for fans of most football games is that there is no team customization. The game also lacks any season type of play - no records, each game is individual. (The online play may be a little different, but I haven't tried that yet.) Oh... and there are no announcers, not even Madden, on this Madden brand game.

Of course, for me, one of the coolest things is that I can fit an intense game of football within a small timeframe of about 15 minutes or so. That's perfect for my schedule!
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Madden Arcade
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:57 »
Sounds cool.

I prefer the full Madden football, lots of plays, players and options. Although I can't always afford the upgrade, I did manage to get the 2009 version, which is now a year old.
I still enjoy it though.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Madden Arcade
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 13:24:12 »
The last football game that I bought was Game Day '97. After playing the demo of the latest Madden game, I was considering it. I saw a preview of Madden Arcade, but there was no playable demo, but since it dropped in price, I figured I'd be happy with Madden Arcade, especially compared to the price tag on the full Madden football game.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)