Author Topic: New Back to the Future Game  (Read 6750 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
New Back to the Future Game
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:14:30 »
I like TellTale Games.  They took over the Sam & Max game series after Steve Purcell and LucasArts had their falling out.  They also made the Bone games based on the comic books by the same name.   They are pretty much one of the last few companies still producing the old style "get/put" adventure games ala Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion.

So when I heard they were making a five episode Back to the Future series of games, I was very excited.  It looks really good, and the fact that it has people who worked on the movies is very encouraging.  

Christopher Lloyd reprises his role as Doc Brown, and although Michael J. Fox authorised the use of his likeness for the project, he was not available to record the voice of Marty.  That job went to AJ LoCascio, who sounds so much like Marty McFly, it's a bit eerie.  

This will definately be something I pick up when it comes out.  

Check out the official site here:
http://www.telltalegames.com/bttf
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:33:55 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
Re: New Back to the Future Game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:25 »
I downloaded the first "episode".  It was really fun.  After the Delorean showed up, it started to really feel like I was playing a sequel.  The gameplay is solid, and even though it is at it's heart a puzzle-solving, adventure game, the puzzles are not so difficult as to grind the story to a halt.

The story begins a few months after Doc and his family fly off in the time train.  Marty is upset because there is an estate sale going on in Doc's old lab.  Everyone assumes that Dr. Emmet Brown is dead despite Marty's insistance to the contrary.  Just then, we hear a familiar sound coming from outside.  The time car has returned, but when Marty opens the door it's actually Einstein, Doc's dog, that greets him.  Marty finds a tape recorder with an urgent message from the Doc, and in no time races off to rescue his friend.

There are some corny moments.  Most of them involving the supporting cast.  Obviously they weren't TOO concerned about getting great George McFly or Biff voices.  Fortunately their appearances are brief.  It was also kind of a weak explainaion as to why the Delorean is intact despite having been destroyed at the end of the third movie, but I let it slide because it's still cooler than driving around in a train.  Although I do hope we actually get to see the inside of that train at some point.  

Four more parts to go, and I can't wait for the next installment.  It's supposed to come out some time this month...   [girly squeal]

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:01 »
They're offering the first episode for free at the moment, so now is a good time to check it out if you have any interest at all.  The link in the first post will take you right to the page.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:43 »
Thanks for the info. I'm downloading it now...
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:08:45 »
I just finished the last game "episode".  Taking all five parts as a whole, I'd say that even though the story gets a bit convoluted at times, it still ends up making sense in the end.  They do end the final part with a "To be continued..." and I will be waiting for that eagerly.

Marty's father and grandfather (same basic character) do show up frequently throughout the series, and even though his voice was always a bit annoying, I got used to it after a while. 

Michael J. Fox does play a role in the final game as Willie McFly, Marty's great-grandfather (seen in BttF3 as the baby that pees on him).  Honestly, except for the fact that the character looks more like the modern day Michael J. Fox, if I hadn't seen the behind the scenes saying that it was actually him, I'd have just thought it was still A.J. LoCascio doing that character too.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome he was in it, I'm just saying LoCascio sounds so close I never would have known the difference unless it was pointed out.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:22 »
I did finally try the demo of Episode 1 on the PS3. Seems pretty cool, but I didn't get very far... just up to the estate sale.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)