Author Topic: Happy Birthday Jason  (Read 3276 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Happy Birthday Jason
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:36:58 »
Happy Birthday Jason! I hope you're doing well... wherever you are.

I met Jason LaPalme several years ago in Tampa. He introduced me to a game called Talisman. I had heard of it, but never played it before meeting him.

Among other things, together Jason and I figured out how to play Shadowlord! It is an old Parker Brothers game that I had briefly as a child. It was neat to me as a kid because it was the first game I had seen that used polyhedral dice. It also had a medieval-space-combo theme. But the elemental masters made my mom cringe and she made us take it back to the yardsale where we had found it. After growing up I decided to hunt down that game and eventually found it on eBay. I took it over to Jason's house and we played the game 3 or 4 times before we thought we actually understood what all the rules meant. How a kid was ever supposed to understand that rulebook was beyond us. In any case... we determined that although the theme, dice, and other components of the game were interesting, it didn't make the game all that interesting. Anyway, thanks for enduring that with me, Jason.

Jason was also one of the first guys that joined me in playing the Conquest online that I developed back in 2005.

Sadly, he moved away, and I haven't heard much from him in the past few years.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Happy Birthday Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 14:17:20 »
Sadly, I have yet to actually meet Jason in person, but I remember that we did get into a heated arguement over something at one point on the forums.  I have no idea now what it was... possibly the Conquest game, I don't remember.   

Anyway, Jason, I hope you are doing well these days and that you've had a good Birthday and have a great holiday season.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"