Author Topic: Game Testing... (Years ago)  (Read 6984 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Game Testing... (Years ago)
« on: July 15, 2011, 23:57:25 »
I just came across some old photos from when Chris and I were working on a card game together in 2006. ... Well... I'm not in the photo... I was the one taking the picture. But here you can see Chris and the game that I spent countless hours on. With Chris's help, we tested the game out, which turned out to be a lot of work for a game that we felt had potential, but in it's current state, was rather long and drawn out without much payoff. Together we redesigned the game and came up with two other completely different methods of playing the game.

If I remember correctly, I used up all of the ink in my home printer but fortunately had enough cards to run photo copies to make the rest of my first batch of cards. I think Chris actually printed cards in full color for the second version that we were working on. We never made the third version... only discussed it over the phone. Unfortunately, I within a couple months, I was working like crazy, didn't have time to work on this game design, and the computer that I had been using at that time died, taking all of my work with it. Maybe one day I'll get back to designing some kind of game.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Game Testing... (Years ago)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 20:32:06 »
I still think your space trading game has a lot going for it.  I remember it reminded me a bit of Privateer.  I still have yet to see a good board game that would combine space combat with trading. 
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 20:53:13 »
I don't think I've ever played Privateer.  What's the name of that one spaceship-building-and-cargo-collection game that you have?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 19:13:19 »
Galaxy Trucker, if I remember rightly.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 14:37:07 »
Yep, that's it, but I consider Galaxy Trucker more of a racing game.  There's no actual trading. 

Privateer was an old space-trading video game set in the Wing Commander universe (Mark Hamill dog-fighting against cat people).  Maybe I should have just said Eve Online.

Also that other game we were working on together... I don't see us finishing that anytime soon.  Especially since Dungeon Lords is already pretty good and does much of what we were going for.  Except I liked our idea of interactive combat instead of NPC "heroes."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 14:42:53 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"