Author Topic: PS3 backwards compatible vs. not  (Read 13195 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
PS3 backwards compatible vs. not
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:26 »
I may have struck up a deal with my wife allowing me to get a PS3 sooner rather than later. Now the problem is, which one should I get. I've seen some of the 80GB backwards compatible systems (which are no longer in production) available on eBay, but the big seller right now seems to be the 160GB system and the newest 80GB system. Since the 160GB is $100 more than the 80GB system, its not likely that I'd get that one, so now the question is, do I get a used backwards compatible system or a new 80GB system that won't be backwards compatible. I've got lots of PS One games, which is why I'm really interested in the backwards compatible one, so does anyone know if there is a big difference with other features of the newest system?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: PS3 backwards compatible vs. not
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 15:05:37 »
I've been playing a PS2 game on my older 80gb system. It allows me to create as many 'old' memory cards as i need, storage space being the only limit.
I know nothing about the newer 80gb units.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:32:19 »
Do you know which model number you have?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 19:59:26 »
I've been reading more about this today and have seen several people mention that all PS3 systems are backwards compatible with PS One games. Since I don't have any PS2 games, that's just fine with me. It means I don't have to buy some extremely marked up used system to play my old games.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 16:41:30 »
I've never heard that. I thought only certain ones had the compatability.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 22:42:25 »
Yep. I contacted PlayStation Customer Services to be sure. The reply that I got back from them basically said that every PS3 is somewhat backwards compatible. There were basically three different messages regarding compatibility.

"Some PlayStation (PS one???) format software may play on this system."
OR
"This product has limited backward compatibility with PlayStation (PS one???) and PlayStation 2 format software."

In the case of the fully backwards compatible ones, they said "Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation (PS one???) format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system."

Oh, by the way, I read on one site that if you have one of the older backwards compatible (BC) systems and it breaks under warranty they will most likely give you a new system that is NOT BC. So... why bother...

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 21:18:35 »
Backwards compatibility sounds real good on paper...but in practice...once you see how good the PS3 games look, you don't want to go back.  It's nice if you ALREADY HAVE a collection of PS2 titles AND you plan on playing them regularly.  But seriously.  Go to Costco, the the one with biggest hard drive, the extra controller, the free game and limited or no backwards compatibility.

That being said...you do have little ones.  They might enjoy the PS2 games...you might be better off just buying Wii games for them...and follow my plan above.

I want you to play Orange Box so we can compare notes.  I had a BLAST with that game. 

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:47 »
Oh, the PS3 is definitely the system for me, not the kids so much. We have the Wii for that. But I do have a bunch of PS One games (not any PS2 games anymore - my wife traded those away) that I'd like to be able to go back and play occasionally.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 19:18:02 »
Great...I'll sell you my backwards compatible PS3 and then I'll invest in one of the new ones....

What price are we talking about paying for the PS3 with two controllers?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:48:09 »
All PS3s are backwards compatible with PS One games, so there's no need for me to seek out one that is "Backwards Compatible."

I've seen several people selling almost new PS3s with games for around $300, so I'm going to keep looking for something like that if I decide not to buy a new one. I saw one guy selling a PS3 with Guitar Hero Metallica, a guitar and drum set, and a couple other games for $300 but I didn't see the ad early enough to catch it.

ragingwookie

• Bronze Level
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 13:15:04 »
If you haven't bought yours yet think about this bundle from BestBuy

http://kotaku.com/5305883/ps3-bundle-includes-mgs4-killzone-2-%5Bupdate%5D

You get the console plus Metal Gear 4 and Killzone 2 for the same price as just the hardware. I know a couple of people that were thinking about getting the PS3 and this bundle was the deal maker.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:41 »
That definitely sounds cool to me. I wonder it these bundles will last through the first week of August.

ragingwookie

• Bronze Level

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 17:22:57 »
Yeah, that looks like a pretty good deal too. We definitely want to get the warranty on the PS3 though, so the Best Buy bundle will probably be what I'm getting.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 18:27:14 »
So...what's the ETA???