Author Topic: Best (Multi-player) Games for each system  (Read 8252 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Best (Multi-player) Games for each system
« on: June 06, 2008, 00:11:51 »
I recently tried to convince my wife to get the PS3, which I'm still pretty sure that I want, but I'm curious what everyone thinks are the best games for each of the current gaming systems out there... especially in reference to the multi-player games. My wife recently asked me which game(s) I was really wanting for the PS3 and was talking to me about other systems too (maybe getting a used XBox360?) so I'd really like to put some lists together. I'd like to have some games that can be enjoyed by more than one person at a time and I'm interested in many genres but especially enjoy cars and combat.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

cinemax

• Gold Level
Re: Best (Multi-player) Games for each system
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 13:24:21 »
I'd tell you about the wonders of PS3 having Blu-Ray but you don't have a HD TV.  Have you played Halo? That would be one for the XBox 360. I haven't but the hubbub seems hot. I guess I'm just a PC gamer at heart.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 14:46:14 »
No, I haven't played Halo. Maybe I'll get a chance to try that next time I get over to Blain's place. I think he has it.

I heard a while back that Sony was going to have backwards compatibility for PS3 and then something said that maybe they wouldn't. Can anyone confirm this one way or another? The main reason that I'm wondering is that Twisted Metal was released for PS2 but the one for PS3 isn't out yet. I'm wondering if I could pick up some of the PS2 games to play with the PS3.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

ragingwookie

• Bronze Level
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:42:22 »
No, I haven't played Halo. Maybe I'll get a chance to try that next time I get over to Blain's place. I think he has it.

I heard a while back that Sony was going to have backwards compatibility for PS3 and then something said that maybe they wouldn't. Can anyone confirm this one way or another? The main reason that I'm wondering is that Twisted Metal was released for PS2 but the one for PS3 isn't out yet. I'm wondering if I could pick up some of the PS2 games to play with the PS3.

Halo 3 is good but I wouldn't buy a whole system for it. Like I said in another topic I love playing Call of Duty 4 multi-player. And it is available on the PS3.

Apparently there are only some games that are backwards compatable. You can search for the games on this link

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:02:22 »
Thanks Trav! I didn't know there was an official list out there.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:45:45 »
I recently purchased a PS3 with a few games from Ebay.
Only certain models are backwards compatible. I think the 40gb one is not, along with the 20gb. I know the 80gb is, I have that one.
I am currently hooked on Rainbow Vegas Six 2, my friend and I get on and play regularly. Luckily it was one of the games that came with my purchase. I traded in the other game, Turok, for Elder Scrolls. Glad I did, the Oblivion game is fun, just solo.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:59:57 »
I read on the official Playstation site that the 80Gb model is backwards compatible with some PS2 and PS1 games. The 40Gb is only compatible with PS1 games. (Seems a little strange, but I guess the hardware differences made the PS3 more easily compatible with PS1.)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 21:11:47 »
I believe that is one of limitations of the 40 Gig.  I also believe they shorted it some memory slots.

There is a MGS4 version at Costco.   I believe it comes with the DualShock controllers too.

I'm happy with my 60GB version.  Just picked up Soul Caliber IV.  Darth Vadar is a bad-ass!