Author Topic: Brushless Power Tyco RC RIPTIDE Build Thread  (Read 8132 times)

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
Brushless Power Tyco RC RIPTIDE Build Thread
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:52:30 »
Hello fellow tyco RC enthusiasts. I am posting this forum for those of you interested in modding their tycos. I noticed there are very few threads about it, unfortunately, so here is one.

I removed the original motor which was a tiny 280 size motor(picture) and replaced it with a 380 size motor(picture) connected to a octura flex hex motor coupler using octura .098 flex cable. For electronics I am using castle creations mamba micro sidewinder. Controller Hobby King GT 2 controller.

Performance

The steering is a million times better than stock it actually goes left  :D It also about 5 times faster but there is lots of torque role, unfortunately the only way to counter torque role is to add two motors with counter rotation props.  Very happy with the boat so far.

Hopefully the pictures show up.

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
Re: Brushless Power Tyco RC RIPTIDE Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:48:15 »
Riptide is a big boat for a toy. I put it next to my RC Motorcycle to show the size of the boat.

stussels

• Silver Level
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:41 »
lets see some more of the bike ;D

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 20:27:31 »
Before I install the brushless motor. In this picture I was running a 380 size can motor with stock electronics.

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:48:07 »
Here are more pics of the motorcycle and Riptide, with a obsolete Mini T for size comparison. The mini t with a stock motor and a 7.4 lipo out runs all stock Tyco Rc vehicles ever made.  ;)

nixzero

• Bronze Level
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 17:53:48 »
I've never played with hobby-grade RC boats, but would it be possible to limit torque roll with a keel or something under the boat?  I'd imagine that might help.

Either way, putting Castle electronics in a Tyco is AWESOME!  You gotta put a video up on YouTube!

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 16:12:28 »
I added weight to the left of the boat reducing torque roll significantly and reducing motor power to 70percent, much faster than stock. Even at 50 percent is faster than stock.

nixzero

• Bronze Level
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 17:58:02 »
Great idea on the weight!  And I certainly give you credit for modding your Tyco, you don't see a lot of that.  It makes sense due to parts scarcity.  A brushless Turbo Hopper would be destroyed in a fast crash, not to mention the strain on the tires and gearbox.  A boat, however, would really be able to take advantage of a brushless system.

I'm actually looking at buying a used Tyco boat, just something for the pool, it's good to know these old models still hold up well!

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:22 »
The biggest problem with the boat is that it takes in a huge amount of water. This riptide I bought was more for display than actual purpose. NQD boats in ebay are much better for modding and speed.

Tyco Rc vehicles are easy to modify also, just keep the stock motors and used modern electronics. People break Tyco Rc vehicles gears because they don't limit the power of the esc. Castle Creations have low starting power settings which are crucial for tycos because they lack slipper clutch. Tyco with a modern esc running at 7.2 volts is much faster than any stock tyco made.

scorcher

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:59:56 »
nice modding

i got something similar to the NQD boats its a stealth boat which ive modded out with 2x Jp Pro 480 motors and put a rudder on the back controls better and loads of power and speed compared to stock any way

http://p.playserver1.com/ProductImages/1/7/7/6/9/4/3/3496771_700x700min_1.jpg
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

Brushlesspower

• Copper Level
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 00:47:44 »
Finally made a much stronger servo connection with rudder. Project Riptide complete, next project maybe Tyco Hovercraft.

3,000 kv Motor
Mamba Esc
.98 flex cable
octura coupler
Cheap 7.2 battery
Motor Mount
2.4 Gh Radio
Reef Racer Propeller
Hitec Feather Servo