Author Topic: Make A Simple Script File Become A Mac Executable  (Read 3020 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Make A Simple Script File Become A Mac Executable
« on: May 12, 2021, 22:56:25 »
Want to turn a Bash Script into a regular kind of Desktop executable on your MacOS? Here's a pretty simple way you can do to make it fit right in with other stuff on the Desktop.

I'm assuming you already know about making an executable bash script that can be run from the command line.

Copy your .sh file to the desktop and add .command as the new file extension. Now, when you double-click this icon it will open the Terminal and run your Bash Script.

To change the icon to something more fitting... I found it to be a little unusual but basically you copy and paste the icon into the Get Info window. Screenshots and more info about that can be found at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-icons-for-files-or-folders-on-mac-mchlp2313/mac

Ok. Not much to see here, but just a reminder that there are options.  :D
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)