Author Topic: Intersting and potentially pretty rare Bandit Coming my way - info needed  (Read 2973 times)

morgrp

• Copper Level
Next week I pick up a Bandit with an intersting story behind it and I'm looking for info on it

The story behind it:

Back in the late eighties and early nineties a very good engineering friend of mine was heavily involved with RC models - In particular Tamiya.  As a result of this he became friendly with several reps for various companies who used to get him in return for a small fee to build and set up the models for them and in some cases race them and make suggestions for improvements - Most notably the Tamiya Avante and the follow up car the Egress.  Anyway, one of the reps he was friends with was involved with the UK importer for Taiyo.  As a result of this my friend often received as token gifts, various Taiyo and Tyco RC cars - He modified quite a few of them including modifying a Jet Hopper to be fully proportional and converted one into an A-Team van for his son!

Anyway, I digress, when chatting with him the other day I mentioned Tyco bandits in conversation and he mentioned he had one and asked whether I wanted it as he had no need for it anymore ??? Naturally I jumped at the chance and said yes then we got talking about it.  He explained that the rep gave it to him mentioning it wasn???t a Tyco but a prototype Taiyo version built for the German market ??? As a result it sounds to be different from the norm ??? It???s 9.6v with turbo function but runs 8 aa batteries my friend explained that the rep said the German market preferred aa batteries rather than the 9.6v pack for whatever reason  - He also said the shell was removable and the battery compartment is top loading (like a jet hopper) and that the shell was slightly different to a Tyco.

He has to get it out of his attic so I pick it up in a week or so ??? I???m just wondering if anyone else can shed any light as I???m not sure if the story is a load of BS or whether it is a genuine one off prototype ??? My friend is not one to lie so I???d like to know if anyone else has a Taiyo version of the Bandit or if there is anyone from Germany on the forum who can shed some light on the car???

I???ll shove some pics up on the forum once I???ve got it

I???m pretty excited! ??? My mate said it is essentially mint but his son had played with it a bit in the garden so i???m expecting it just to need a cleanup ??? Having said that it hasn???t turned a wheel in nearly 20 years so I???m hoping the electronics have survived!

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
well since its a german prototype its not likely there really is much info on it, sounds cool no matter what though!
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

morgrp

• Copper Level
Turns out its not a bandit :-( but a Tyco Blaster prototype - I will be selling it on ebay as I really wanted a bandit - so watch this space if anyone is interested - I'll post a link to the auction or you can PM me for details - runs superbly and is quicker than my Bandit!

My mate got consfused between the blaster and a Tyco Jet bandit (Taiyo version) he had that he has also given me! (well it was 20 years ago!) - pics to follow soon - The jet bandit is a properly lovely little car! and brand new in box (even has that lovely "new Tyco" smell that takes me back to my youth!) - what is interesting is that the Taiyo version appears to be slightly higher spec than the Tyco with better wheels and tyres. - Can't decide whether to sell this too as just got myself a fast traxx and a Tamiya Bull Head - decisions decisions!