Author Topic: living a day back when real tycos and others were still on the shelf  (Read 5772 times)

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
anyone ever just want to live a day doing the same thing they did back when all the good toy rc cars were on the shelves at toys r us and kb toys? When i was younger and all my friends were into rc cars among others things, rc cars were a big part of hanging out. I have asperger's syndrome so rc cars of the 90s were a big social tool when i was younger. all the kids had rc cars and it was something everyone all could do, and talk about. one day i'm going to live a day and just do everything i did when i was 14 so means no car, no kids, no wife, just doing what i did back when my parents paid for everything. Too bad my old best friend is nowhere to be found but can still work : ) one day i'm going to get an old rc car i used to have from ebay/craigslist whereever i can find one, bicycle to my old street, run the rc car, put it in my backpack, bicycle to popeyes (popeyes chicken is kickin), bicycle past all of my friend's old houses and hang out and just take it all in, bicycle to kmart, don't remember what i ever baught from there but it was close, then ride to the 7-11, possably go fishing (that i did alone, no other kids fished), ride to the state park and do a little mountain biking, then waws time for kfc, i ate allot of chicken those days, then time to go to the skating rink, will have to have someone drop me off since i didnt drive and it was dark so no bike, then call for a ride home. anything i remember i used to do between now and when i do this will be added to my list. need to find some episodes on tv i watched those days. what was a day like yours like back then?

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
Re: living a day back when real tycos and others were still on the shelf
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:20:54 »
things i can't do that day: go to toys r us and look at the nice nikkos like the thor, scorpion, jeep, predator etc. in the glass case at the end of the rc aisle, all the good tycos on the aisle, and go to any kb toy store at all...at that age i didn't know anything like the changes to the rc market to come, terrorism, economy, i just lived and had fun.

poptart

• Gold Level
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 18:41:09 »
Ahhhhh those days,,,,14 i had just saved up enough money after 3 years to pay for half of my kawi kx 80,,,,those where the best of times i would take my nikko black thunder and my turbo hopper and stuff them in my jansport lol,,,for some reason that was the must have brand backpack,,anyway i would ride the side streets to a local baseball park that had like five fields and the bottom one is where they would pack the dirt piles just perfect for some awesome RC jumps it was the perfect set up i used to trade my Nintendo games for more battery packs at school so i could stay out there longer,,i got game systems every Xmas but really could have cared less i just wanted to be outside jumping my rc's,i remember i was up too seven 7.2v packs and four 9.6v's in my prime.i put my poor shenshi (i think that's how its spelled) battery charger through the ringer it charged both and had a green light and a red light on top it was awesome never let me down the top was metal and the sides were plastic and eventually the sides started to warp from getting so hot from charging pack after pack till i fell asleep,,it was a blast this was Around when the greatest movie of all at time was out called the wraith with charlie.sheen about the street racing killer car the dodge interceptor and that chick took her clothes off in the water lol,,, that was the last year i remember playing with my rc's because we soon figured out that the park we were going to was a softball only park which none of us knew but man that changed everything !!!,, it was girls there pretty ones everywhere lol,,there was even cheer squads that would come there and practice on one of  the            fields so we where in heaven so the rc's got put on the shelf or in the closet cause you cant give girls
rides with a backpack or let alone let them know what was in it who knew trading in the rc's for girls would be the roller coaster ride it was lol,,, man id give anything to be 14 again and hoop on that dirt bike.  and ride to that park bang out some huge jumps with some of my fav rc's  and pick up some lil hottie smacking bubble yum like i used to without a care in the world.ahhhh man  i can smell the mixture of 2-stroke and bubble yum right now Lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 19:13:23 by poptart »
Hit it Mr.butters!!!

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 22:59:29 »
i had a 50cc moped i rode when i was 14. i would sneak out on it with my rc cars and fishing gear and head to the river and fish then do some major off roading. i kept getting pulled over on that moped and what was worse is when i was 15 i got pulled over with my girlfriend at the time on it. talk about embarassing. i was a pretty handsome 14 year old and these 2 girls used to come over to watch me drive rc cars. later found out that they would have come over no matter what i was doing  ;) i chased my g/f with my x-rc pro speed stock car, she would evade it by jumping on my back while i was driving it. i remember jokingly threatening to tangle her hair in it with the wheels spinning close to her hair. it was a funny joke til her hair accidently got tangled in it. that was the last time i drove that car near her. all of my x girlfriends all figured my rc driving was a phase but it stuck through the years.

olds45512

• Silver Level
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 23:27:30 »
my rc driving phase never ended either. every friday night i load up 2 grand worth of rc gear into my truck and go to the race track. when people say something about it i always look at them and say that its either rc or drugs, you pick. lol

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 23:46:22 »
i used to say that to my mom, and it worked almost all of the time. never tried any drugs either. had a ton of nikkos : )

poptart

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:51 »
Lmao!!!,,,funny enough i do remember once some girls being at my house and i convinced them to lay down on the floor so i could drive my fast traxx over them,,,they didn't think it would go over them but let me tell i showed them real quick lol i drove that thing all over them like maniac it was all fun and games till i kinda lost control and did some kinda 360 move over and down her face and got one of there hair tangled in the back wheel and tread lol it was a mess cause my bright idea was to work the tread off and try and just go backwards which just made it waaaaay worst,,my mom ended up working most of it out but had to cut some to lol
Hit it Mr.butters!!!

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 14:33:00 »
i wass born at the end of the major tyco era. 1992 so i only took interest in 6 years or so, in 1998-99. for Christmas i got the 1992 super fast traxx, which i still have with box. my mom got that thing when i was 1 at a tent sale for Boscov's and held onto it till then. amazing! i wish i would have experienced going into the stores and seeing them, a got to see some of it but not alot.
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 15:06:49 »
when i moved to where i am now when i was 7 (1991), r/c was huge, but it was all of the older kids who had the big nice ones. i had always been into rc but when i was little my parents didnt have money so i had an old nikko that went about walking speed. when i got into the 6th grade that's when the kids my age had the 9.6v and 6v tyco cars, and is when my mom got me and my brother our first decent rc cars. which was a nikko sears lobo flash, and my new bright jeep renegade which i have not seen a new bright that was as nice as that jeep since. you would have been young to really obsorb the nature of the hobby, but i was fully with it and aware of how things were and what cars were out. maybe you're lucky in a way because you don't remember a whole lot but for those of us who do remember everything it breaks our heart knowing that we will never get it back. no running your tycos with your friends, no browsing toys r us for tycos newest thing and just admiring their old ones and looking at the cars you wished your parent's would buy you under the glass at the end of the rc isle. Toys in general changed, now everything reflects the corners companies are cutting to cut costs.

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 15:20:42 »
i try not to live too much in the past since one day today will be in the past and then i'd really be lost. Today's technology is great but back then toy companies had their hearts into the game and not numbers. kids liked fast, cool looking, powerful, and durable rc cars. in a way tycos were very simple, they did what they needed to do. a monster truck was a monster truck. a buggy was a fast cool looking thing you could run through dirt and jump with, street cars were fast and agile. I liked the level of realism in the old rc cars, plus i also liked the ones that looked futuristic like scorcher and burnout but never liked ones that did things like transform into something else or anything like that. I think if tyco suddenly brought back all the old ones, i think kids now would be too stoned and too sidetracked by realistic video games to really appriciate what these cars were. They were the best thing we had during the best times of our lives and that's why the old tycos have such a following. I'm sure if i had a time machine and slapped a brushless traxxas e-maxx on the market, tyco sales would suffer but the 90s cars are what we had, and that's the stuff we loved. and sometimes we cross played our loves and strapped a ninja turtle to the top of our rc  ;D

poptart

• Gold Level
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:46 »
I couldnt agree more man,,and hell yeah i was 11 in 1991 and was in my playing with fire stage lol,,,and i deffinity remember rubber banding a ninja turtle or two to one of my turbo hoppers with a crap ton of  bottle rockets lmao,,i tried to send Poor leonardo to the moon lol,,,i think my hopper broke a few land speed records that day,,still worked perfect afterwards even though it was a lil crispy on the top lol
Hit it Mr.butters!!!

friedchickenfuelsme

• Silver Level
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 10:06:35 »
remember those echo pro rc cars? i put an actual model rocket engine on one of those. i didn't think it through very well since i could have easily did some damage to property but the duct tape held okay. the echos were soo light so it was a good car to do it to as far as speed but not handling but once you're 100 feet away you lose range anyway so didn't matter how it handled, it was out of range in 2 seconds anyway. and yeah i went through the playing with fire stage too and tried to make a hot air baloon out of a grocery bag paper cut 2 tooth picks aluminum foil and paper towel for heat source...didn't work out too well.

poptart

• Gold Level
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 12:07:58 »
Hell yes i do !!!,,,i had 1 echo and i dont know if the pro was a different line or something but i do know i hated it !!! It was like a cheap fast traxx type thing that was way way way underpowered. It was blue with orange wheels and flame stickers on it,, i stole all my older brothers M-80's (the bada** red cardboard ones with the green stems) it was like 6 or 7 of them,,i remember it was hell getting all the wicks to stay together,, i lit that thing and it blew to kingdom come lol i was so amazed,,it was in pieces,then i threw all the parts on the roof of our house so my mom wouldn't find them in the trash lol,,,it's crazy thinking back why i thought the roof was a good idea,,i guess i was just thinking get rid of the evidence quick cause that sh** was loud 1 or 2 neighbors came over to see what had happened,,,and  i also learned that gutters dont catch RC car parts in a wind storm i soon Found out a few weeks later lol.
Hit it Mr.butters!!!