Author Topic: I'm getting old quick  (Read 7061 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
I'm getting old quick
« on: March 14, 2011, 16:53:08 »
My body definitely seems to be breaking down. Today I woke up around 5am with severe stomach pain. The pain was in the same area where I had just recently had surgery to have my left kidney removed. My wife drove me to the ER where I was quickly admitted, and thankfully, given some medication which immediately cut off the pain. We though for sure that I was going to need surgery again. Even the nurses thought that something had burst inside my abdomen. After getting a CT Scan it was determined that I have diverticulitus, so no more popcorn for me.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: I'm getting old quick
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 17:34:52 »
HAHA... You're falling apart, old man!  Oh, wait... I seem to remember... yeah, I've had this too.

Seriously though, that is a rough one.  Sorry to hear you're in more pain, but all things considered, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be worse.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 17:51:03 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 00:16:06 »
Glad to hear your okay.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 23:45:28 »
I went in for a follow up with my primary doctor and my blood pressure was doing great along with other things checking out fine. Since we've seen and heard otherwise, I also asked the doctor about the seeds and popcorn that the nurse at the hospital warned me against. My doctor said that there really isn't any evidence that it makes a difference, but fiber is very important.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

brokeneliminator

• Silver Level
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:25 »
I would suggest you eat cereal high in fiber w lowfat milk; it may taste gross but it'll slowly help keep you away from the dreaded ER...
1988 4wd Tyco truck (blue)
2g Bandit (black)
3g Bandit (black)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:29:34 »
Gross is the last word I would use to describe nutritious cereal with lowfat milk.  I've been drinking lowfat milk for about 20 years, and the last time I tried whole milk it just tasted slimy.  As for high fiber, I've been eating a lot of oatmeal lately (becasue it's super cheap).  If you add a little brown sugar and a pinch of salt, that stuff is pretty good.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 23:16:41 »
Beth just started buying lowfat milk... definitely not my favorite...

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 16:25:51 »
What's the % she got?  If it's skim, I agree, skim is disgusting. ;D   I like 2%.  Whole milk is really only about 4% fat anyway.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 16:42:21 »
1%. If I remember correctly, it's a little different from "skim" milk.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:18:03 »
I've been drinking 1% milk since my wife moved in with me way back in 1993.
Whole milk tastes like heavy cream now.
I still don't care for skim milk though.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:04 »
i would take the nurses advice!!!!! my brother has/had diverticulitus, he couldnt eat peanuts, or popcorn, also as it gets worse theres alot more you cannot eat. he was getting where he could not eat breads anymore or limited amounts.

he had is diagnosed for 4-5 years, progressiveley got worse over time, came a point where they told him get the surgery to fix it on his own with some planning and the survival rate would be good, with no bag, or wait til a sever inflamation and have emergency surgery, where the bag, and decreased survival rate, he just had his fixed last week, 12 inches of intestine removed.....ouch!!! he was not to happy.......

he was going through a jumbo bottle of fiber pills  often
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator