Author Topic: Mysterious Cities of Gold (TV)  (Read 2031 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Mysterious Cities of Gold (TV)
« on: July 20, 2009, 19:33:24 »
     I remember when we got Nickelodeon added to our cable package when I was a kid.  I'd spend way too much time watching people getting 'slimed', or having other things dumped on their heads for various reasons.  Amidst all the adolescent fart humor and physical challenges there was a Japanese cartoon import called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold." 

The boy named Esteban is refered to as "child of the sun"  by the townspeople of Barcelona because he is supposed to be able to order the sun to appear. One day, a man by the name of Mendoza tells Esteban that his father may still be alive, and the best chance of finding him is by following Mendoza to the new world.  Smuggled aboard a Spanish ship, Esteban meets an Incan girl named Zia, that Mendoza has supposedly kidnapped. 

Soon enough they reach the new world, and Esteban & Zia meet a native boy named Tao, and together they search for the lost cities of gold.

It was one of the first shows I remember watching that had a continuing storyline, and I would get drawn in to Esteban's search for El Dorado, and dream of what I would do with mountains of gold.  I don't remember what I wanted, but it probably involved a life-size Castle Grayskull.  I also remember wondering whether Mendoza was a good guy or a bad guy.  I can't imagine a kid's show actually leaving anything like that to the imagination these days.

Last week I re-discovered this show on HULU.COM, and have been rewatcing them surprised at how well they hold up.  It was originally made in Japan, then released to France, where they re-edited it.  This version was distributed in the US by DIC (who also brought us Inspector Gadget, and trust me, you can tell by the music).

I highly recommend this series for your children.  I was about 10 when I started watching it.  Not only is it fun and entertaining, the last few minutes of each episode discribes factual information about ancient South American culture, and the Spanish expeditions.

Lastly, in poking around the internet for more information for the post, I saw that interest in the series isn't dead.  Supposedly, they are starting production later this year for an updated continuation to the series. :)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Mysterious Cities of Gold (TV)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:32:59 »
Sounds cool. Thanks for the info.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)