Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Table-top Games / Jaipur
« Last post by Dragon on August 08, 2022, 22:01:33 »
Another game acquired at the Tampa Bay Comic Convention, thanks to Chris, was Jaipur. I've played this game on BoardGameArena.com several times and was happy to see it there. Chris purchased the game and gifted it to me as an early birthday present! :)

Chris and Isaac played Jaipur while we were there and Isaac caught onto the game quickly. When we got home, Isaac played against me and won, already making good use of the tips that Chris had taught him. We played again, and this time I managed to win but it was time to end for the night after that.

This is a great addition to my game collection. Isaac has also commented on wanting to have his own copy of the game to take to college. Fortunately, although the game may have been out of print for a while, there seems to be a recent print of it that is available on Amazon.com for anyone looking right now.

Table-top Games / Brandubh
« Last post by Dragon on August 08, 2022, 21:53:56 »
While at the Tampa Bay Comic Convention last weekend, we were introduced to an old game called Brandubh, also known as Tafl or Viking Chess. My son, Isaac, was challenged to play in a medieval room, Society for Creative Anachronism - Barony of Wyvernwoode and since he won the match, he was awarded a copy of the game. We were shown that there are different versions of the game, some with more pieces, but the set that Isaac played on and received has a simple 7x7 grid, 8 pieces for the Attacker, and 5 pieces for the Defender (1 King and 4 Guards).  The King starts in the center, on the Throne, with his 4 Guards surrounding him. The Attackers are positioned straight out from the center, in line with the Guards.

When we were taught the game to begin, we were told that all the edges of the board could be used to capture an opponent's piece with one of your own, otherwise you'd need to surround your opponent with 2 pieces on opposite sides. The King was an exception to this, needing 3 to capture him against the wall, or surrounded on all 4 sides in the open. This ended up being a mistake and we struggled playing multiple games, switching sides, and never managing to win from the Attacker side. After checking online, we found that the walls weren't nearly that deadly and the game seemed much more balanced.

Tyco RC / TycoCollectors.com - Database of Tyco, Taiyo, Metro, Dickie
« Last post by OzzyMuppet on August 07, 2022, 08:31:30 »
Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster! So I started collecting Taiyo/Tyco RC just a few years ago at the start of the pandemic. I got hooked, badly! Since I like building websites, I decided to start a project of documenting all the Taiyo, Tyco, Metro, Dickie Toys models that are known. So far I've built a page for 250 models, aiming for around 500 once I'm done. Users can also submit new models (Home > Submit New Model) if they wish.

The site is at https://tycocollectors.com

Getting accurate information is the hardest thing, and I don't own ALL the models (yet!!), so if you see anything incorrect, please do make a comment on the page, so I can correct it. Or just comment anything you like, it will help my site grow :)

Anyway, I hope you like it. It is done in my spare time and does cost me money (more than you'd expect...), but my goal is to bring more awareness to these awesome companies Tyco, Taiyo, and Metro RC which no longer exist, but brought so much happiness to kids in the 80s/90s, and still bring some nostalgic joy to us today :)
Tyco RC / Re: Tyco 9.6V RC Series Upgrade/Replacement Parts Now Available!
« Last post by OzzyMuppet on August 06, 2022, 08:43:45 »
Just wanted to add my thanks to you (GTek) for doing this, and helping us keep our Tyco / Taiyo RCs in working order :) Well done mate.
Table-top Games / Scooby-Doo Betrayal at Mystery Mansion
« Last post by Dragon on July 26, 2022, 00:05:19 »
This evening I played Scooby-Doo Betrayal at Mystery Mansion with Isaac and Grace. I've played Betrayal at the House on the Hill before but this is a simplified version, more family friendly. We started the game with Grace, playing as Scooby, I played as Fred, and Isaac played as Shaggy. After just a few rounds, we had picked up our 3rd item and triggered the haunt. Grace took on the role of the Puppeteer, but Isaac and I were able to win the game. The game seemed a bit short, but the haunt had triggered pretty early. Overall, we enjoyed the game. The kids said they'd play it again. I like the theme, most likely due to nostalgia from my childhood, and the exploration style, which I expected from playing the original Betrayal game. 
Table-top Games / Re: Rival Troops
« Last post by Dragon on July 24, 2022, 22:29:13 »
Today I introduced Rival Troops to a friend from church. After I explained the game, we got started with Joe starting first. (I figured as a Pathfinder leader, he has most likely made a fire more recently than I have, which is my suggested starting point for the game.) Joe caught onto the game pretty well and managed to get his troops spread out pretty well. I thought he did well for his first time playing. He got 42 points to my 64.

After the game he suggested that it could be a good game for combining two sets to make an 8-player game, of course you'd need to put marks on the second set in order to know keep them separate. Hmmm... I can imagine that a starting grid for that might be like an 8-pointed star. Since the troops can move in 4 directions without rotation, it would still allow players at North, South, East, or West starting points to get to the center in the same number of turns as the others at NW, NE, SE, and SW.

_|_|P1|_|_
_|P8|7|P2|_
P7|7|10|7|P3
_|P6|7|P4|_
_|_|P5|_|_
Table-top Games / Re: Board Games For Sale (eBay)
« Last post by Dragon on July 24, 2022, 21:34:09 »
Princess Ryan's Star Marines sold for US $14.99 on ebay today.
Farting Cows And The End Of The World / Re: Cow Brush - Terrain Upgrade
« Last post by Dragon on July 23, 2022, 22:50:40 »
Here is a photo of my "Farm Upgrade", including the Cow Brush, Barns and Trucks. 
Table-top Games / Re: Rival Troops
« Last post by Dragon on July 23, 2022, 22:42:07 »
I played Rival Troops with my wife tonight. It was a close game. We had a good bit of give-and-take especially at the end when we were close on some spaces that were individually worth a lot of points. The final score was Beth: 41 vs. Nathaniel: 43.
Farting Cows And The End Of The World / Online Demo
« Last post by Dragon on July 20, 2022, 20:26:07 »
I've been working on an online demo of my board game. It's not a fully functional version of my board game yet, although my plan is to make it so. Right now it's just a demo that allows adding some pieces and some movement of the pieces around the board. That’s all for now.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]