Author Topic: Wil Wheaton's TableTop  (Read 6432 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Wil Wheaton's TableTop
« on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:48 »
Finally, there is a "Celebrity Poker" type show for nerds!  TableTop is a half-hour YouTube show starring everyone's favorite USS Enterprise-D ensign, Wil Wheaton.  He's taking a much deserved break from reversing the polarities of things to play boardgames.

During the show, they play a full boardgame, and have cut-aways that explain what's going on to make it more accessable to non-gamers, and mid-game interviews from the players.

The first episode features guest players Jenna Busch, Grant Imahara (of MythBusters), and Sean Plott who play the game "Small World".  There's plenty of trash talking and joking around, and Wil enjoys making humerous comments in the voices of the races being defeated.

The show is really fun to watch, and hopefully will help to bring modern boardgames into the mainstream.  TableTop is part of the "Geek and Sundry" channel on YouTube started by Felicia Day of The Guild.  You can check it out here:
Geek and Sundry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:14:03 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Wil Wheaton's TableTop
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:19 »
This is SOOOO cool!  I watched it in it's entirety!

"Gambling is cool, kids...and so is smoking!"

Hilarious...but does a GREAT job at quickly explaining the game!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 23:37:13 »
Sounds funny. I'll have to check it out now that I have a computer of my own again. ;)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 14:01:06 »
Another good game is coming up!!!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 21:10:15 »
I'm assuming you mean the Ticket to Ride episode?  I was surprised that no one took new tickets at all during the game. 

The way Wil described it in his summary of the rules is that you simply "take a new ticket."  Is the "take 3, keep at least one" a house rule you came up with, or were they oversimplifying for the sake of time?

"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:07 »
I believe they were oversimplifying.  The actual rules allow to take three and keep AT LEAST one.  You CAN keep all three. 

However, I have been glad for the take three because many times you get tickets that are impossible to complete late in the game...thus you can reject that ticket and keep one or both of the others.

What sucks is if you get three impossible tickets.  Then it's least of three evils.

It's always nice when you get "already completed" tickets! :)

All this discussion, however, is moot, as I will never play Ticket to Ride again.  Something in my past has forever soured that experience for me.