Author Topic: First Game Day at Mac's place  (Read 3889 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
First Game Day at Mac's place
« on: August 26, 2009, 23:47:36 »
I'm just going to give a short session report since I've got studying to do and it's already late.

There was a big storm that rolled in just as I was getting ready to leave the house, so I bagged up a few games and rushed out the door right around 6PM. When I got to Mac's place he was a great host, bringing out an umbrella to provide protection for the board games.

While we waited for TylerChuit and The Unnamable One to arrive, we discussed playing Magic: The Gathering. Mac has a few Theme Decks which provide a variety of strategies to play with. Each deck comes with a page which gives hints about how to play the deck. We were still talking about it when TylerChuit arrived and Mac's step-son joined us for a 2-on-2 game, with Mac and TylerChuit against me and Brandon. Well... without getting into all the details of the game I'll just say that those guys just stomped all over me and Brandon. We didn't even get them half way down before they had obliterated us.

Next we played Cash N Guns. When that game was suggested I was all for it. We played once with just the basic rules and the second game we played using special abilities. In the first game I killed TylerChuit. In the second game, he killed Brandon. I managed to collect more money than the other guys in both games. It's a game that I enjoy regardless of winning or losing, but it was especially fun to win the game two times in a row tonight.

We finished the night up with an old favorite that has been lost in the closet for quite a long time... Kill Doctor Lucky. We used the figures from Betrayal at House on the Hill which was a nice touch. The male figure dressed in white made a nice Dr. Lucky. The game lasted quite a while, with TylerChuit making several attempts on Doctor Lucky's life. Unfortunately, his last big attempt was unsuccessful but it drained me of all my Failure cards and Brandon had only an F-1 by the time that Mac got his big chance. Mac killed Dr. Lucky in the Servant's Quarters with the Broom Stick.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: First Game Day at Mac's place
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:57 »
I had a really good time. Thanks for coming over to my humble abode.
I'm glad Brandon joined us, I think he had a good time playing all of the games. I'll be sure to invite him to join us for future Game Days. However, I must point out that when they are held at Charles's house, I come straight from work and would not be able to bring him. That is a discussion for another Game Day.
This one was fun, I think the Magic game worked out well, it filled in nicely while we waited. I don't have many board games, so I think I'll pack up my Magic pre-construct decks to bring to Game Days as a short time filler. I'll also research the rules on 3 or more players so we have a more definitive set of rules.
Guns and Cash sounded fun and was. I liked the idea of actually having a gun in your hand to point at people, and how you had to try to convince them with your facial expression that they were going to get shot. I think Nathaniel has that part down, every time he aimed at me, I got a cold stare like I just pushed his brother off the monkey bars and I was gonna get it.     :o
Kill Doctor Lucky has a lot more strategy than I thought it would. I thought at first, yeah the guy is walking around doing his thing, this is going to real easy. However, after jumping the guy repeatedly, I began to think that someone could strangle him at the end if all the failure cards get used. At that point it became imperative that I attack with any weapon available so that I could use up everyone else's failure cards. I had a nice stack of them, so, feeling confident I could stop anyone else from killing him, I began using every weapon I had to use up all the other failure cards. At the end, I had the card that put him in the room right before the one where I could use my most potent weapon on him, a broomstick. Funny how he avoided the Chain Saw, Sharp Knife, Letter Opener, & Crepe Pan. In the end it was the broken old broom stick, with no broom head on it, (otherwise it would have been a broom), that did him in.

Once again, thanks for braving the weather for my first Game Night. A success on all accounts.
Nathaniel and I have decided to split the Port Richey Game Nights, so the next one in Port Richey is at his house.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: First Game Day at Mac's place
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 14:21:33 »
I agree, it was very fun.  Brandon was a cool addition to the evening.  A bit quiet, but considering how I would have been around a group of my dad's friends, he handled himself well.

It was cool to play Magic again after all those years, even cooler to win. ;)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"