Author Topic: Todd Glass in Town This Weekend  (Read 2403 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Todd Glass in Town This Weekend
« on: November 20, 2009, 20:00:01 »
A very funny comedian that I enjoy listening to on his podcast "Comedy & Everything Else" is at the Improv in Ybor City this weekend and I'm planning to go either Saturday night or Sunday.  If any of you guys want to go see free comedy, it's my treat.  I will pay for your ticket, you just need to let me know by Saturday noon. 

The available times are Saturday 7:30 or 10:00 pm, or Sunday at  7:00pm.  Again, if you guys want to go for free, reply here by Saturday noon.  That's when I'll be leaving to pick up the tickets.

Todd Glass You Tube Clip
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Todd Glass in Town This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 17:53:54 »
I just noticed this. Sounds like fun but I don't have time right now anyway. Hope you enjoy the show!
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:55:57 »
I also did not see it in time. I heard Todd Glass on the radio driving home on Friday, 102.5 Kowhead show.
I thought he was funny and would have liked to have gone. I just heard of him for the first time Friday.

Hopefully you went to see him, with or with out company.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 14:02:22 »
Yeah, I had heard he was on tour opening for David Cross, but none of those dates included a stop in Tampa.  I didn't find out he was going to be here until Friday morning listening to 99X on the way to work.

I did go, it was great.  I have a story about what happened.  Hopefully, that will be further down on this thread at some point in the next day or two.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 22:35:57 »
Okay, at the end of the show, he said that he didn't have his cds for sale, but what you could do was buy a piece of lucky paper.  It wasn't for charity or anything, it would just bring you good luck to buy it.  He was totally pitching the idea in a humorous "I know it won't really bring you luck, but yes, I'm still selling it that way anyway" sort of way. 

When I left the theater, I saw the table with the lucky paper on it.  There was a cardboard box with a slot in the top, and a stack of 8 1/2 by 11 paper that had the words "Lucky Paper" poorly xeroxed on it.  There were a few groups of people standing around just looking at the table, not doing anything.  I pulled out a dollar, stuffed it into the box, and took a sheet.  This seemed to be all people needed.  A few people just started grabbing sheets, and walking away.  Todd had made it clear that you didn't HAVE to pay for the lucky paper, but that paying would fully activate its luck.  Again, in a totally "Of course I know that what I just said is stupid. I'm a comedian, that's the joke" way.

I went back inside, grabbed a pencil off of a table that had been left there for the comment cards, and when I asked Todd if he would sign my lucky paper, he agreed.  "I don't know what to write... I'll put Happy Birthday... What's today's date?"

Now at this point I thought I was pretty clever at the quickness of my response, "Hmm... well gee, seeing as it's my birthday, you think I'd know... the 21st, I think."

That got nothing from him.  That's fine, I'm not a comedian, but I was still pleased with myself.  Plus, he still had another show to do.  I've heard enough comedians talk about the performance to get that he was probably still deep in his own head, thinking about the show he had just done, and the one he still had to do in another hour.  I thought it was sweet that he got a little upset at himself for messing up the date.  "Oh..." he said in the way someone says it when they see a hurt puppy, with that little inflection in the middle. 

I told him I was a big fan of his podcast, Comedy and Everything Else.  He got a little emberassed.  "Yeah, I haven't been on in a while."

He had been touring with David Cross, and was now doing some dates on his own.  "Yeah, I know!" I said, "I miss hearing you on there.  When are you going back?"

He hesitated for a long moment, then said, "Next week..." 

I thanked him then left, super happy.  I looked at my lucky paper.  His signature was a scribble, and below it it said,

"Happy Birthday, Chris!   
11/   /21 09"

Awesome!

The next week, there was a short announcement in the Comedy and Everything Else thread.  It was the other hosts of the show saying that Todd had left the podcast indefinately.  I was stunned.  To my mind, he was the best part of that podcast.  I understood why he didn't want to tell me that.  He didn't want to have to answer the questions I probably would have asked. 

But that was later, the show was fantastic.  I had a great time, payed $20 for a pretzle and a glass of tea. ($8 + tip)  The glass was a souvenier one that I forgot when I left.  I wasn't used to taking glasses with me from places, plus I was probably super psyched about geting my sheet of lucky paper.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:09:28 by TylerChuit »

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 14:18:56 »
Hey, 11/09, that's my birthday. You hijacked my birthday.   

Um, wait, maybe that means I'll be lucky too.

Oh, but I didn't pay any money for the lucky paper.

hmmm....

I wonder......

Bah, it's your lucky sheet, I hope it brings you lots of luck. More than you can usually buy for a dollar anyway.

A good story all around. Glad you had a good time.

Mac    ;D
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 18:45:17 »
Yeah, that was definitely a cool story.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:05 »
Hey, 11/09, that's my birthday. You hijacked my birthday.   

Look at you using 9, 11, and hijacked in one sentence...

Good luck the next time you want to get on a plane. 8)