Author Topic: 1/10 TYCO Bandit Tribute - Tamiya 4WD Nissan Pickup!  (Read 2856 times)

Gamester

• Silver Level
1/10 TYCO Bandit Tribute - Tamiya 4WD Nissan Pickup!
« on: October 05, 2020, 01:55:30 »
Hey Dragon and other folks too!

I hope you are all doing well;  I like to drop in here every half decade or so to update you all on any TYCO related Projects I have going and I'm glad to see that this site is still up and running :)

Anywho, being classic TYCO vehicle fans like myself, I figured you guys would be interested to see a recent TYCO related project I just completed; which is an 1/10 TYCO Bandit Tribute Tamiya 4WD Nissan Pickup!

Specifications:
Chassis: 2012 re-release of the 1985 Tamiya SuperShot/Super Hotshot
Body: Tamiya King Cab Nissan Pickup 
Radio Gear: 2.4Ghz FlySky FS-GT2E with HobbyWing QuicRun 1060 ESC
Battery: 4200Mah 2S Lipo

Upgrades:
Full TRBRC rubber sealed ball bearings 
Pargu1 polished aluminum alloy wheels
Atomik all aluminum alloy oil filled shocks
Sense ESS One sound simulator
LED headlights and bumper lights

Enjoy some modern performance dirt thrashing in totally rad 80s style folks! :-)

YouTube video here...

https://youtu.be/1LEY478A_Y8

Enjoy!  ;)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: 1/10 TYCO Bandit Tribute - Tamiya 4WD Nissan Pickup!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:53:34 »
Hey Gamester! You're welcome to show off your projects any time! :) Your Bandit looks sweet!
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Gamester

• Silver Level
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 19:30:48 »
Thanks man!

Yeah, I don't do a whole lot of big projects like this very often these days; in fact, this is the first full kit vehicle I have even built in over 20 years, so I felt inclined to share this one especially, lol!

BTW, love the IT Crowd quote; I love that show, it was on of the few greats for sure! :D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 18:11:38 »
That's cool. I noticed you had a few other videos on YouTube for some other RC cars. Do you have any videos about the building process? 
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Gamester

• Silver Level
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 19:54:19 »
All the RC videos I've done so far are of driving them, this particular project started with building a 2012 re-release kit of the Tamiya Super HotShot.  The rest, I just had to figure out as I went along and find the best way to mount a truck body onto a buggy chassis.

I ended up getting a set of Traxxas TRX-4 body posts and got them mounted up good and solid via a lot of trial and error, which wasn't very easy since this buggy chassis was not setup for that kind of body at all.  However, probably the toughest part of it all was getting the body up the perfection level that I require in my personal projects to get the desired look.  Finding proper decals, a suitable single bar roll-bar, sourcing/mounting proper looking bumpers, and getting realistic looking and functioning headlight buckets mounted into a lexan body were tough as well.  Also, I had to make the top roll-bar plate by hand from a raw sheet of aluminum, polish it, and even made all the decals on the plate via photoshop as well.

I spent a lot of time on precise decal placement to match the original Bandit body;  for me, that itself was very difficult and time consuming because I often get really shaky hands when trying to work with small things like that.  The shakiness is another factor in why I haven't built any raw kits like this for over 20 years.

I don't plan on doing any "building process" type videos, in fact; I doubt I will do anymore kits at all after this one; however, I'm thinking about doing some review videos of some RTR vehicles in the future possibly.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 20:06:45 by Gamester »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 16:23:35 »
Very cool. Thanks for giving us a quick summary of it anyway.