Author Topic: Avatar in Imax 3D  (Read 4109 times)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« on: December 19, 2009, 22:10:04 »
SUCH A FANSTASTIC MOVIE!!  THE EFFECTS, THE 3D, THE SOUND

ALL TOP NOTCH!!  10 OUT OF 10!!!   :o  Just a PERFECT movie!!!

One of the few movies that I would immediately pay to go see again.  And I can't say that happens often...in fact...possibly never...

Seriously...seeing Avatar on IMAX 3D is simply the way successful movies are going to be in the future.  The 3D doesn't really jump out at you...as bad 3D typically does, but it makes you feel as though you are inside the movie the whole time....HOLY COW!!!

I also saw Planet 51 - It was OK....but I wouldn't want to see it again, nor was I more than marginally entertained.  But then...I saw Avatar first, and anything would be a letdown after that...

I also saw Disney's A Christmas Carol.  Very Good.  I was surprised by how dark it got in places.  The animation and effects are very cool...but I had to overcome the hatred I had for "The Polar Express" type animation....they really need to fix the crossed eyes look.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Avatar in Imax 3D
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:49 »
Given my knowledge of your feelings about paying for movies you see back to back, that is high marks indeed. :o
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:21 »
Wow! Yeah, that sounds awesome. So it's definitely a 10+/10 in 3D for Charles, but here's my question... if it weren't in 3D, would the movie still rate that high. Would it at least get a 10/10?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 21:04:49 »
I would say...yes!

If you guys wanted to see it, I want to take Kamryn to see it...we could all go together?!?!   ;D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 14:51:39 »
Chris and I were talking about the possibility of going to see Avatar on Sunday, depending on what the rest are interested in. There is a 7pm showing, so if we did go to that it would cut our gaming a little short. Would you be interested in seeing Avatar again on Sunday, or would you prefer to stay dedicated to gaming through to 9pm?

By the way, I believe "The Unnamable" Chris H. will not be available for the even this weekend. He said that he should be available on the 10th.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 15:08:56 »
Kamryn and I and her grandpa have decided that we are going to see Avatar a week from Saturday at approximately 2pm.   I would love for you all to join us and play games until 9pm on Sunday.

However, if you'd rather break early and go see Avatar on Sunday...I understand.  I've already invited grandpa (before seeing your post) thus I don't want to un-invite him.

But, again....I would LOVE for you and Chris to join us.  Perhaps we could make that happen?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 16:07:45 »
Well... I guess we'll just have to discuss it more tomorrow. It's too bad it didn't work out for us to all go together.

I can't remember if Mac is coming tomorrow or not. Mac, if you get this message, please let me know what your plans are. I wasn't certain if we were going to ride to Clearwater together or not.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 16:58:35 »
It isn't too late, Nathaniel...it's NEXT Saturday (hence the verbiage "a week from Saturday"...

So there is still a chance we can all go together.  A week from today.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 14:28:26 »
Count me out. I'm going golfing that day, and I'm pretty tuckered out afterwards, usually.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 17:02:04 »
Yeah, you'll have to count me out too... not that I'm going golfing.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:42:10 »
Ok...the timing has been finalized.

2:45 for Avatar IMAX 3D at the AMC Woodlands 20.

If you are going to join us, let me know and we'll save you a seat!!  Chris...you coming?  Dave?

We'll of course be seeing a couple movies afterwards, so if that appeals to you, you can stay with us until approximately midnight!!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 20:28:08 »
Hey, I just got back last night.  I got to see this in Atlanta.  Awesome!  The theater was full so we had to sit in the back/   I actually went and saw it again after work today so I could sit down front.  HOLY CRAP!!!!  It was amazing.  Sitting in the second row had no adverse effects on the 3D.  In fact, when you fill your field of vision with a 3d movie, it becomes hard not to get drawn into it.  There were a few times where things were coming at the camera that I felt like stuff was actually passing right next to me.  It makes me never want to see a movie in the theater any other way.

And yes, I would be happy to go again.   ;D
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:40 »
I read an article about it in Popular Science magazine. The director said that he had planned that movie for several years, but didn't want to film it until technology could make it where people felt like they could actually touch things in the movie. Maybe in a couple days when I've fully recovered from this cold or whatever I've got I can get out and see it.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:22 »
I would also be interested in going to see it.
Maybe Dragon and I can plan it out, since everyone else has already seen it at least once.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 13:58:57 »
I still have credit to see it at AMC theater, so that would probably be the best place for me to go. Maybe we can meet there Thursday evening.