Author Topic: Dominion  (Read 17403 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Dominion
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 22:39:21 »
She actually did surprise me this evening. She came home and said, "I have enough money available on my credit card so we can go out to eat." I had told her a couple months back that I really wanted to go to Carrabba's on my birthday - that's my favorite restaurant to eat at. After everything that happened yesterday, I didn't think that was even going to be possible, since she had pulled all the money out of savings to go get the cat checked out and get some anti-depression medication for our cat. Since I've been keeping up on the bills though, she did manage to have some money available on her credit card so we could go out. I know... in some ways it felt a bit crazy to go out splurging on a meal, but since that was the birthday present that I was given, I decided to take it.

In any case... I will get Dominion eventually, even if it is buying it for myself as a Hanukkah gift. ;)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:37 »
Anti-depression medicine...for a CAT?   ???  Wow....I can't say I'd ever spend money on that!  I value other things far more than my cat's happiness.  You're not worried that it's going to jump out in front of a dog someday and end it all, are you?

Anyway, I'm glad you found the money to go to Carrabas.  Wendy and I enjoy that too.  Typically we sit up at the grill area so we can watch them cook and we'll share the fried mozzarella and then share an entrée.  Typically we get water as well, so the evening is quite reasonable.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 19:47:59 »
I think that's what it was... although I'm not certain what the medication was, but yes, it was something because the cat wasn't acting herself.

We like sitting up at the grill at Carrabba's too! Actually, for the last 3 or 4 times that we've gone there we've sat at up at the grill area. Very cool seeing the chefs flip stuff around. Plus, we've even gotten some great samples that way.  ;D

Tonight my wife went out after checking our bills. She also mentioned something about getting some other money... not sure where that came from, but I heard her say that she might be gone for a while.... maybe I'll have a new game this evening.  :)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 21:14:40 »
I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to break out my copy of Dominion again soon. I was very excited about getting it for my birthday because I thought for sure that it was a game that was fun and short enough that my wife would be interested in playing more often. Unfortunately, so far I've only been able to play one game of it with her. The last time that I asked her about playing it with me she said, "Not when you ask at 10 o'clock at night," then she proceeded to stay up for another hour on Facebook. I'm hoping that this Sunday afternoon, while we're at a pizza & games party with some friends, I'll get to introduce them to Dominion.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 07:28:14 »
Come over pal.  I'll ensure it gets played!!

For one thing, Wendy and I BOTH love it.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:36:34 »
The previous weekend was spent in partially in the hospital, but this weekend I felt well enough to get out of the house and go play some games. After lighting off some fireworks to celebrate New Years with the kids, my friend Blain and I enjoyed a few games of Dominion. My wife and his wife get along well, and once the "Falalala Lifetime" movies started for Christmas season they decided to go watch some movies while Blain and I play Dominion. (I really thought that it would be a game that my wife would like, but she keeps getting frustrated with me trying to enforce some basic things to keep things from getting confusing, so although I'd really like to play the game with her too, maybe it's better that we don't.)

Anyway, one notable game this weekend we had quite a battle between the Stash and the Gardens. Blain had picked up several Stash cards early in the game. The Thief was in play, without the Moat, which I was using to try to pull Treasure cards out of Blain's deck, but I didn't have much success with that. He was using the Stash cards to keep the treasure in his hand rather than in his deck, which obviously worked out well. He was also cycling through his deck often enough to pick up a very threatening amount of provinces. Fortunately for me, I had a couple Workshops, and since I ended up getting very little Treasure, I spent several turns picking up the Gardens with the Workshop and buying an Estate with my 2 Copper. By the end of the game, Blain had most of the Provinces, but I had all but one of the Gardens. I had 50 cards in my deck at the end, making each Gardens card worth 5 victory points, but in my final turn of the game I chose to take a Village rather than an Estate and that cost me the game. Blain beat me by one victory point: 79 to 78!

So... the moral is, never underestimate the little Estates.  :D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2022, 19:38:16 »
Well... although we played Dominion quite a bit last year (not that I was ever posting about it here at that time, but it was our most played game of 2021), this year it took a while before it hit the table. The really nice thing was, that it was brought over by our old friend, Mac. It had been a while since we had seen Mac and he mentioned that he felt like a time traveler, seeing us here and there at different points of our lives, each time having our children much more grown than the last time he'd seen them.

Yesterday Mac brought over Dominion: Empires, which is an expansion of the game that I hadn't played before. My son, Isaac, also joined us at the table. Using just the Base Cards along with the Empires set, we played the Basic Empires setup. The first game took quite a while, almost 2 hours to play, due to several off-topic discussions, a late dinner, and some work-related issues. (I'm on call this week.) One of the cards used most often was The Wedding, which gave us Gold and a Victory point and occasionally some debt, which was sometimes even rolled over into the next Wedding. We joked about how many wives we were marrying and how some of us didn't have enough land to support that many wives. Although I used The Wedding a few times myself, it wasn't as much as Isaac did. He had a stack of extra Victory points from Weddings and the Farmers Market which was nearly double of what I had. In the end, Isaac and Mac had a tie score, but Mac won with the tie-breaker since he'd had less turns than Isaac.

After some delay, we decided to play another game using the same card set. This time Mac started the game. He mentioned at the end that he'd gone with a different strategy than the previous game. (He had more attacks in the first game and went all out focusing on Weddings for Gold and Provinces this time.) Once again, I didn't feel like I could get a good strategy together but our game did go much faster the second time. Isaac and I nearly tied this time, but Mac had a big lead away from us.

Of course, I really enjoy playing Dominion whether I'm winning or losing. Most of the cards in the game are enjoyable to play with, especially when it gets into the multiple-action-chain. The Empires expansion is no exception to this.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2023, 11:19:10 »
I finally got the Alchemy expansion for Dominion and played it against my son. We decided to try using 10 cards just from the Alchemy box rather than going with one of the Suggested Sets which combined Alchemy with cards from another box, just because we wanted to see the Alchemy cards the most. Out of the 12 cards that were available for the domain, I chose to remove the Familiar and Scrying Eye from our first game, primarily based on the fact that there were more cards that has 2 or 3 coins in the costs. Getting any synergy was slow going, but eventually we got there. Isaac picked up the first Province. At the end of the game, he was able to buy two Provinces in the final turn of the game!

There were definitely some powerful cards in the set. The potions do change up the way that treasures are considered. I was hoping to make more use of them and I think I had 3, maybe even 4 at one point in the game, but they ended up clogging my hand more than being useful since I got unlucky and often had either no potions or multiple potions when I could only spend one. Isaac made good use of the Golem and Alchemist. I tried using the Possession card when I could, and probably managed to get most of my stuff during turns I could use that, since Isaac had built up a good deck.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 11:59:19 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 17:39:38 »
Friday night, Isaac and I played Dominion again with the Alchemy expansion. This time we used the cards from the "Forbidden Arts" set, which includes some about half of the cards in supply from the first Dominion set, along with the Bandit card which was in the second edition of the Dominion set. That confirms that I got an updated version of the Alchemy set since the 2nd edition for the base set wasn't released until after Alchemy originally came out.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2023, 16:46:05 »
Today, Isaac and I played Dominion again with the Alchemy set called Potion Mixers. I found that I really like the Herbalist from this set of cards, but the Transmute along with the Golem just got me flooded with more Transmute cards than I ever needed. At the end of the game, I had about as much money as Isaac did, but he had gotten the Silver and Gold earlier and managed to get almost all of the Provinces. He never even got a single potion during the game and I only had one. The Herbalist helped keep the Potion playable more than having multiple Potion cards did in previous plays, but I'm still not sure if it even seems worth picking one up. There are still many sets to try with Alchemy and I'm not giving up on it yet, but it definitely feels safer to have just a single Potion with the sets played so far.