Author Topic: Tyco Wiki?  (Read 3439 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Tyco Wiki?
« on: February 17, 2010, 22:27:34 »
Ok guys, I'm thinking about setting up a Wiki or something similar for the Tyco RC stuff. I think it's great that there are so many people coming here about vintage Tyco vehicles so I'd like to make more of this site into areas that you guys can contribute to.

I had started something a while back, but it wasn't quite what I wanted and I haven't had time to work on it since then. Do you guys think a traditional Wiki app would be good, or is the formatting for Wikis just too strange? (It looks odd to me.) There is apparently a lot that you can do with Wikis though, that might be cool to use and with WikiPedia becoming so big, maybe the Wiki formatting codes are getting to be something that more people understand.

So, what do you think? Should I install a Wiki app here, or do you think something else be better?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

scorcher

• Platinum Level
Re: Tyco Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:27 »
dont kno what app is the best but sounds a good idear
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Tyco Wiki?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:55 »
Here's a little description of Wiki formatting that I found on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial_%28Formatting%29)

The most commonly used wiki tags are bold and italics. Bolding and italicizing are done by surrounding a word or phrase with multiple apostrophes ('). Headers are created using multiple equal signs (=):

You typeYou get
''italic''italic
'''bold'''bold
'''''bold italic'''''bold italic
==Heading==Heading
===Subheading===Subheading

This is just a sample of some of the formatting styles for Wiki apps. There are lots of others, which may or may not be useful. (I haven't used a Wiki enough to know.) Personally, I like how easy formatting is to do in the forum, and there is a tool that I've used on another site that I could tie into the site to make a custom built content management system that allows formatting more similar to what the forum has. It would take more time for me to get that put together though, which is why I was considering the pre-built Wiki apps.

Are you guys familiar with Wiki formatting?

Update: I just read about a new mod that is coming out for the SMF forum (which is what we use here) that adds on a Wiki feature which should be more familiar to forum users. I'm going to keep an eye on that and hopefully be able to implement that if it becomes available in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 14:00:43 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)