Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 3936 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Prometheus
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:56:40 »
My understanding of Portal is that it was based on the Half-Life game engine.  In that tradition comes the game Prometheus. 

Programmed using the Unreal Tournament game engine, Prometheus is similar in feel to Portal in that it employs a unique concept, turning a first-person shooter into a puzzle game.  In this game however, instead of interdimensional doorways, it's 'quantum-phase' time travel.    This game is billed as a "Solo Co-Op FPS".

You start your average scenario with a set timer, usually between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.  You run forward to press a button that holds open a door.  When you release the button, the door closes, but there's no way you can get through fast enough... Now what?   Well, while holding the door open, you can hit the key on your keyboard that fast forwards through the rest of your alotted time.  Then you're whisked backwards into another copy of you that is now watching the first 'you' running to the button... stand... trying to run to the door, then running back to the button.

The second 'you' can now go through the door and solve the next part of the puzzle.  You only get 5 copies of yourself before you have to start completely over, so the trick becomes figuring out how to get the most out of each version of yourself in the time you have.  The timer is extremely important, as that first version of you from the above example may have to push another button next to the first one that opens a door deeper in.

There are other similarities to Portal, not the least of which is its sense of humor.  At one point during the testing phase you are asked to pick up a rifle and shoot a target.  Then you are asked to shoot the previous version of yourself while being assured that nothing would happen to the current you.  Once the deed is done however, the disembodied voice of the tester seems a bit surprised that you actually are still there.

The version of the game I found was in Demo form and only had about 9 missions done, but I would definately buy this game when it comes out.  I loved Portal, and this game is a worthy addition to that genre of FPS Puzzle games.

Check it out here... Prometheus Demo

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:30:46 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 13:07:46 »
Sounds cool. Thanks for the info.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)