Author Topic: Porsche 962 -looking for servo- Pics inside  (Read 5993 times)

nazbr7

• Copper Level
Porsche 962 -looking for servo- Pics inside
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:52 »
I've got a White Porsche 962 that works when you pull the trigger but the steering is dead and not responding.  The car is in such great shape with no broken parts and run very little.  For that reason it confuses me why the steering randomly decided to not work.

Any suggestions?  Can I use a servo from any 9.6 tyco?  This one just is held in by two screws.

stan

• Gold Level
Re: Porsche 962 -looking for servo- Pics inside
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:06 »
seen one of these 3 weeks ago for sale.

Are you sure its the servo?

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:53 »
I may have a servo for you
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 13:06:31 »
id check a different remote, see what happens, but it does seam the steering or reverse is always the first to go on these tycos
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

nazbr7

• Copper Level
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 15:07:49 »
I tried a different remote.  That was the first item i thought would fix the issue.  However the other remote operated the forward, reverse and brake perfectly but still no luck on the steering.

I will take a pic of the servo when i get home from work.  Any help would be appreciated!! 

Stan:
I bought this one more local, where did you see one for sale? Ive never seen one in white before.

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 15:28:21 »
saw it on craigslist.

when you turn does the servo make any noise at all or?

i'm thinking somethings loose but its in such good  shape its Hard to tell. 

nazbr7

• Copper Level
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 16:59:19 »
Servo makes no noise at all.  Like if a wire is loose.  There's several wires coming out of it.  I will take a few pics

nazbr7

• Copper Level
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:53 »
some pics of the servo setup

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:12 »
give the servo wires a little tug on both ends from board and from servo. But not to hard you dont wanna break them. just make sure there tight and while your tugging turn the radio to see if the servo will do anything.
We do this when we check electrical systems in old skool vehicles. if the wire snaps easy then its fualty and prolly whats giving it a short.

I tried finding one on craigs but no luck.  also find the crystal receiver on the car poke at it and turn the radio to see if the wheels turn

nazbr7

• Copper Level
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 18:29:21 »
I will try your recomendations.  Will see what happens.
Thanks for the help thus far.

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 00:52:06 »
theres lots of small capacitors/resistors on that board, if all else fails id look and see if i could spot anything burned out, not sure the tell tell signs of a resistor, but the caps maybee noticeable if swollen or bulged, you could then remove and replace them and possibly have a fix
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

stan

• Gold Level
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 14:01:54 »
when replacing parts on and electrical board like that, make sure when you put the new part in that it slides in with ease.  dont force anything through the pin holes.  if it doesnt just pop right in the clean the board of solder. make sure thoe holes are open well.
If you try to push something through the holes the electrical filiment will be pushed out and break. And since its laminated you would have to peel the laminate off carefully to expose the electric fillimant.
and my ADD is killing me and i lost track of what my point was

nazbr7

• Copper Level
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:37:57 »
Haha thanks for that info!  Hoping I wont have to dig into it that much.

when replacing parts on and electrical board like that, make sure when you put the new part in that it slides in with ease.  dont force anything through the pin holes.  if it doesnt just pop right in the clean the board of solder. make sure thoe holes are open well.
If you try to push something through the holes the electrical filiment will be pushed out and break. And since its laminated you would have to peel the laminate off carefully to expose the electric fillimant.
and my ADD is killing me and i lost track of what my point was

morgrp

• Copper Level
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:41 »
Same as the Jet hopper turbo - I've just rebuilt one (see resto pics on general RC) - It had a faulty servo - the gears had become mis-aligned so I stripped it and re-built and greased it and it runs fine - Easy to take apart