Author Topic: Many Jobs, Little Pay  (Read 6019 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Many Jobs, Little Pay
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:59 »
As I write this, my bathtub is filled with light green particles that used to be part of a large foam block.  Sign foam to be exact... hard stuff.  I spent most of the day today grinding that block into the shape of a gorilla head with my Dremel.  That head will then be attached to a body that will be postitioned on the side of a 14ft tall miniature building complete with bee shaped airplanes circling.

It is an art piece to represent Chris Warner's gallery, the Alcove.  I'm just making the face, hands and feet.  The rest is either already made, or about to be made by Chris.  He needs me to give it to him by tomorrow afternoon so he can take it to a show this weekend. 

I'm also sculpting two other pieces.  One is an 8" tall robot called Cobbler.  The other is a 2" tall magnet version of the same robot.

Jason and I have also started writing material for a three-person troupe called Thimblerig Circus.  The idea is that they will be doing a web-video series detailing their exploits as they adjust to their new life in America.  By us handling the writing and production, we can host it through Red Rocket Farm and help increase exposure for them when people visit our website.  It also increases exposure for us when people get the information about our site from their live shows.  Win/win!

This is all in addition to the job Jason has me doing on Cradle Me, Sky.  Right now, he is dealing with recovering from hard drive failure and a ton of lost work. 

I have yet to find a normal job, and right now, I'm mainly looking for something part-time to put me into a positive cash flow.  My savings are already about half-way gone, but most of that has been furnishings for the apartment.  Things are gonna be tight for a while, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:20:37 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Many Jobs, Little Pay
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:41 »
That sounds like some awesome experience to be getting! I wish you the best in finding something to bring in that positive cash flow.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 22:52:32 »
Just an update.  The gorilla came out great.  I spent the next day at Chris' gallery doing the hands and feet.  His show went well and he got to hang out with a bunch of celebrities form movies that were popular in the '80s.  Oh, and that building was only about 9ft tall.  I finally got to see it all together the other day.  I'll try to get a picture of that soon.

The Cobbler sculpt is almost done, and I'm just patching the cracks caused during baking, and sanding it down a might.
Here is an in-progress shot:

The Thimblerig stuff is on hold, I think.  Some creative differences have cropped up, and Red Rocket Farm might not be as involved as we had originally hoped.

Anyway, Dragon*Con is in two and a half weeks, so I'm just focusing on getting Cobbler and the other magnets finished before then.

Oh, and I'm still finding deposits of foam particles in my bathroom.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 23:00:01 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 23:10:21 »
This sculpture looks really cool. Thanks again for posting photos of your work.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:33:04 »
Magnet version of Cobbler, with the first copy.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:46:51 »
Oooooo ...very cute.  I'd like one that is peach scented...yeah...Peach Cobbler....yeah...that will do just fine! :D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 15:27:36 »
Very cool! Good job!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 18:28:01 »
We've just wrapped up our current festival run for the year with Jason's artwork.  Since he started dating Teeter, she and Jason have been doing the shows together.  I've been working mostly on pre-production of the art and show-prep (packing everything and setting up the booth).  Also, I'll be putting Jason's new artwork up on the webstore in the next week or so.

Otherwise I have started doing a series of wall hanging sculpts for Chris Warner.  More monkeys.  I don't have finished photos yet, but this is a page of t-shirts with the designs I'm producing.  So far I have made the Pirate Monkey and the Flying Monkey, and I am sculpting the Sea Monkey right now.  This, along with the work I'm doing for Jason will be paying my rent for the second month in a row. 8)

Jason has promised me that since we're done with festivals for the year, we'll be getting back to "Cradle Me, Sky" soon.  Fingers crossed.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 23:17:43 »
Glad you've got at least some income there. Hope to see some photos of that work soon.