Author Topic: TANDY//RADIO SHACK .... TURBO FOX .. TOY TO HOBBY GRADE ..CONVERSION  (Read 42548 times)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
this turbo fox looks just like the lobo II i just got as a parts car.
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

notatoy

• Silver Level
this turbo fox looks just like the lobo II i just got as a parts car.
HI  czstycor/c   yes it is the same car as the lobo2  as i understand just a diffrent name a lot of manufacture's did this check out this thread    ;D  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9384694/tm.htm

notatoy

• Silver Level
there does seem to be a few variations of this model with diffrent  electronics some were rated 7.2 volts and other ran the 12 volts like the one i have . with cruddy steering lol  though why they would make such a small car to run 12 volts is some what strange . never the less once fitted out with a new losi baja motor i think she should be fine here is some more info from the tamiya club .. thanks .. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52911

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
yeah i'm probably just gunna use mine of parts. i like the look of the fox better.
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

notatoy

• Silver Level
yeah i'm probably just gunna use mine of parts. i like the look of the fox better.
   iunderstand bro . to be honest i think the lobo 2 is pretty much a colletable now as is most old 80's cars . i have found a 280 can motor in my pit box i think it was of a old toy helli copter i had i have swapd the pinion over from the old motor going to solder it up tonight and give it a try nothing to lose  but i still have the losi motor on order . let you know what happens thanks  :)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
sweet, in time hopefully i am able to undrstand the electronics to upgrade toy rc's to hobby grade. that would be sweet, i am painting bodies now for at least one of my cars. so now i got painting and J.B. weld! haha

notatoy

• Silver Level
sweet, in time hopefully i am able to undrstand the electronics to upgrade toy rc's to hobby grade. that would be sweet, i am painting bodies now for at least one of my cars. so now i got painting and J.B. weld! haha
  iam sure you have all the skills needed bro for this hobby , i started out converting toy cars to hobby level that seems  such along time ago now , then of course progressed to the more expensive hobby grade cars  , and now have come full circle as they say back to converting toys .lol.. i love all aspects of the hobby though dont have much to do with nitro powerd cars nowadays .. since the invention of lipo batts and brushless systems nitro models have taken second place ,but there are still die hard enthusiasts for nitro models . for me they just take up to much prep time . i found a old screen shot of our toy grade modification forum named newbright rockcrawlers .for the most thats what we did rock crawlers but other modifications to other  brands were the norm .it was disbanded a few years ago . some guys started to post on a section made for us buy the admin on r/c universe but it was never the same .and most guys just gave up and stoped posting   .. thanks  ....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:54:08 by notatoy »

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
well i'm going to schooling for electrical engineering, so i should def. be able to in a few years(right now i'm only doing gen. eds.) . i just know nothing of the circut board, and how and where and what kind of engines to use or battery.   but i got some questions. can i use a lipo in my original tycos? like i saw a 7.2v lipo but it looked tiny, and had what looked to be AA or AAA cells, where as my &.2v is clearly C cells.  I have one NIMH battery which seems to give my super fast traxx a little more life. and MAH on the battery what is that milli amps an hour? so does it matter how high that number is? what is the best battery for my cars? haha sorry for all the questions.

notatoy

• Silver Level
well i'm going to schooling for electrical engineering, so i should def. be able to in a few years(right now i'm only doing gen. eds.) . i just know nothing of the circut board, and how and where and what kind of engines to use or battery.   but i got some questions. can i use a lipo in my original tycos? like i saw a 7.2v lipo but it looked tiny, and had what looked to be AA or AAA cells, where as my &.2v is clearly C cells.  I have one NIMH battery which seems to give my super fast traxx a little more life. and MAH on the battery what is that milli amps an hour? so does it matter how high that number is? what is the best battery for my cars? haha sorry for all the questions.
good to hear your up for the higher education bro .its the only way to go  . as for your question the short answer is yes you can use lipo in your tyco r/c  but here is the thing with lipo  you (CAN NOT ) run them flat like you can a normall batt and also a special charger is requierd  . the dimensions a different for variouse packs so that needs looking at before you order any . most none lipo  speed controlers do not have a (L.V.C) LOW VOLTAGE CUT OF . so in order to use a lipo in a none brushless system you must install some sort of lvc  cut of to stop the lipo from running down past its safe storage voltage , there are a number of ways of doing this there is a simple buzzer and led light type device very cheap from ebay and then there are more sophisticated devices like the novak smart stop ..   here is a link that may help you ..    http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
well, after electrical engineering, i'm also going to a bible college to go into the missions feild.  so does the battery need to be the same cells, and voltage as the nicd batts? and what for the mah? i'll look at the link later class in 15 minutes.

notatoy

• Silver Level
well, after electrical engineering, i'm also going to a bible college to go into the missions feild.  so does the battery need to be the same cells, and voltage as the nicd batts? and what for the mah? i'll look at the link later class in 15 minutes.
the voltage  is best kept the same  , some electronics depending on how well made they are can be overvolted  like my conversion the limit for that speed controller is 9.6 volts but buy dissabeling the bec i can run a 3s lipo that is 11.1 volts  and it copes just fine . the mah rating is just storage  the higher the number the longer the batt will last . more info here   .  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187    hope this helps ..  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 18:35:14 by notatoy »

notatoy

• Silver Level
buy the way i just give that helli motor a shot in the turbo fox lots of rpm but no guts that is tourqe   :'( so will waite on my 280 baja motor  ;D

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
to bad you got to wait for the motor.

notatoy

• Silver Level
yes i hate waiting on stuff    :-[  looking at the supplier its also out of stock and on back order  :'(  i guess it will be worth the wait  ;D

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Seems like a small engine only 280, how fast will that make it go? 15 mph?