Author Topic: Slash  (Read 1699 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Slash
« on: April 17, 2010, 17:08:55 »
I've been hearing some good things about Slash's new self-titled album, even that it's better than Chinese Democracy.  I wanted to know if any of you had heard it yet.  I'm especially interested in Wylder's opinion knowing what a big Guns n' Roses fan he is.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Slash
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 14:54:19 »
I went to Slash's official site and listened to the songs from the new album. Apparently he's using guest singers throughout the entire thing. The songs sound quite different, probably primarily due to the changing singers, but also because of Slash's interest in different guitar styles. There's still nothing as striking as Welcome To The Jungle or Sweet Child or November Rain, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's any better or worse than Axl's new G'n'R, but for those hardcore G'n'R fans... in the words of Wyldwing, "Axl Rose is Guns N Roses. " ... Maybe he'd say something different about Slash's album, but I'll leave it up to him to contradict his own statement.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:33 »
I have read about it.  Haven't had the time to listen to it yet.  Now that the busiest part of busy season is over, I'll have to get over to his site and listen to a few tracks.  I think that Slash is, indeed, talented...no denying that...but I think that anyone can play a guitar...anyone can be "part of a band"...but the lead singer is the one you keep coming back for.  So my quote above still stands. 

What is Slash doing with Velvet Revolver?  Has he left?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 22:43:08 »
Slash always seems to have something going on. I think Velvet Revolver is done though.

Personally, while I'll agree that the singer is definitely one of the biggest factors in a band, I don't quite agree that "anyone can play guitar." For example, Van Halen is named after it's guitarist... even if you have a preference of which singer they have.  Pantera is a personal favorite and a great example. The late, great, guitarist, Dimebag Darrell was as much a part of that band's sound as frontman Phil Anselmo was. (I've heard Anselmo in other bands and although I like them, they just aren't the same.) Another one of my favorite bands, Demon Hunter, just recently got not one, but two new guitarists. The singer is still the same, and the music is similar, but it's still different to me.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

pilu323

• Copper Level
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 03:38:46 »
Saul Hudson (born July 23, 1965), better known by his stage name Slash, is a British-American musician. He is the former lead guitarist of the American hard rock band Guns N' Roses, with whom he performed and recorded between 1985 and 1996. He later formed Slash's Snakepit and co-founded Velvet Revolver with his former bandmates Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, and his debut solo album, Slash, was released in April 2010.

(Obvious spam removed by Dragon... the other content is at least relevant to the topic.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 00:14:26 by Dragon »