Author Topic: Favorite Quote of the Day  (Read 21719 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Favorite Quote of the Day
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:18:04 »
I was reading through an article and came across a quote that I thought was cool. Every once in a while I come across another quote and don't know where to save it. Sometimes I think, 'that would be cool to put in my signature line... but I don't want to remove the one I have and I don't want a huge stack of quotes.' So here's my solution... start a forum thread where I can post the quotes and links to some articles that have caught my interest.  :D  Feel free to join in. No specific topic requirement.

"Technology has the 'shelflife of a banana', by the time you buy it, it is brown and rotting." - Matt Harrison's Panela Blog, quoting Scott McNealy (SUN CEO)

Additionally geeky goody: Matt has materials for teaching Python to 3-6 Graders at https://github.com/mattharrison/ElementaryPython. I never thought about getting kids that young involved in programming.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:26:57 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Favorite Quote of the Day
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 20:47:45 »
Anger comes from unmet expectations.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:21 »
Anger comes from unmet expectations.

hmm...  someone in therapy? ;)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:53:30 »
I've finally started watching Big Bang Theory after years of hearing how great it was, and how it's just the sort of thing that I'd enjoy.  

Pausing in-between episodes, I stumbled across Chuck Lorre's "vanity plates" and found them fascinating and delightful.  They are probably the first nationally televised blog and he aparently puts them at the end of every show he's done since Dharma & Greg, filling them with his views on whatever, which brings me to my point.  Some of them are very good as quotes, and if no one objects, I'll put some of the ones I enjoy up here.

Starting with:

"Don't believe that crap that you're as young as you feel. Your feelings lie."

"I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism."

"In all three film versions of the basic story, we are led to believe that Kong regularly feasts on native girls. Female human sacrifice is how the locals appease him. Then, in each re-telling, he is transformed from mindless, blood-thirsty carnivore to smitten, suicidal love monkey by a skinny, blonde-haired white girl (Fay Wray, Jessica Lange, Naomi Watts). Given this behavioral trend, it is my contention that King Kong would eat Halle Berry. This troubles me deeply and I wanted to share it with you."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:07:25 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:17:24 »
I like his 111 card.  ;D 

Oh... and I also like the quote that you currently have in your signature line... Gotta save that before you change it and I forget what it was:

"If you line up all the variations of Monopoly boards end to end, you'll have a very long road that leads to nowhere; and you will have had more fun than actually playing Monopoly."  --Scott Nicholson
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Ernie

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 14:22:21 »
Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth.  ~Ludwig Börne
Click on this link and help hatch my Dragons!
http://dragcave.net/user/Y%27oshii%20Capone

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 14:50:47 »
"If there is no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 20:15:21 »
Here are a few of my favorites. They go back quite a ways, yet, to me are still relevant.

George Washington, one of our founding fathers.

"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."
-- George Washington

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."
-- George Washington

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
-- George Washington

General Robert E. Lee, Confederate General. Born a yankee, I find it ironic that I am right in step with each of the below quotes.

???Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.??? 
-- Robert E. Lee

"I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity."
-- Robert E. Lee

"Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character."
-- Robert E. Lee

"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."
-- Robert E. Lee

"I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God."
-- Robert E. Lee
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 22:30:40 »
This one means alot to me on a very personal, experience based level:

"You really got to hand it to short people... because they often can't reach it."   --Rob Delaney

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 19:05:14 »
"Whatever is begun in anger, ends in shame."   --Benjamin Franklin

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 18:53:25 »
Caught this one on the Daily Show, thought it was too good not to mention...

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost."  --Ronald Reagan

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 16:43:14 »
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."   --Carl Sagan

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:52:04 »
This is not exactly a quote, but it was a quick bit of improv I thought was pretty funny:

Pete Johansson - "I can tell what Asian country somebody is from, you know, by their name or the way they look."
Dave Shumka    - "You've got 'the Chining'."
(from "Stop Podcasting Yourself" Episode 148)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 23:15:13 »
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" ??? Bjarne Stroustrup

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 20:37:00 »
Actually, a watched pot will eventually boil... now watching water freeze that takes commitment.