Author Topic: New to the forum need help  (Read 11694 times)

Thegoat

• Copper Level
New to the forum need help
« on: December 12, 2010, 22:38:44 »
Seems like a very cool online community you guys got here. I was researching rc truck and happened upon this place and scale4x4, but this seems more geared to what my situation entails.

Diggin around in the attic at my folks and found my most favorite childhood thing ever:

I talked to my dad and he said that I stopped playing with it bc the remote broke. I've looked on eBay and have googled my tail off and haven't found much.  I'm guessing it wasnt a very popular model.

What are my options on getting a remote that will work? Iirc it was a pistol grip remote. The sticker on the bottom that would possibly show the freq is scratched to all heck. It still has the original 7.2v battery in it. I would appreciate any guidance in this matter.

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
Re: New to the forum need help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 00:34:18 »
first thing you need to do is find out what brand it is if you dont know already, theyre all either 27 or 49 mhz, but different brands  use a different band, so tyco maybee 27.125 while nikko maybee 27.155 close enuff to interfere with each other at times but not enuff to actually  work with it. what id do is pull the body off and the radio cover and see if you see any name brand type stuff in there, like radio shack r/cs if you take the cover off and look at the board you would see that the workings is from a nikko r/c and pretty much interchange with each other, if you can recall what type functions this had will help too, was it simple funtion f/r and l/r or did it also have a turbo function where you pul the trigger a little more to get more power on the remote? or was it a digital proportional remote, if its a old nikko radio shack deal then it could have had it but since you say it had a pistol type remote it was probaly not a digital proportional.

o
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 00:43:13 »
sorry ran out of room, as i was saying.....you dont have to find the actual remote that came with this, just one that has the same functions and frequency, so your best bet is once you have the frequency number if you can find it is to get on ebay and type in for example nikko radio control and usually you will find a long list of remotes you can buy, you could even buy both frequencies if you cant find yours anywhere on the truck, you may even get lucky trying some old nikko remotes because nikko changed there frequencies ever so often like say 27.135 to 27.125 so even if one doesnt work the next one might, also some of the nikko and radio shack remotes have an interchangeable crystal on the remote itself where you can buy different crystals to plug in to change frequency, ive seen remotes on ebay like this with 5-6 dif crystals included that you can change out. lastly if all else fails, find a donor 7.2v r/c truck on ebay for cheap and swap the electronics out and use its board.
sorry about my real in depth reply, but i was bored.........not so much now though.....lol
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:30:43 »
i looks kinda like the Mad rat that i think scorcher has. but the mad rat is tyco but it also looks like these

radio shack wild ranger--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270674287867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

radio shack wild runner II--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300501475144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

scorcher

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:16 »
ye it looks like the mad rat but looks more like 1 of my new buys more tho /turbo sound racer\

50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 14:59:59 »
Yah, sorry I jumped the gun and forgot to tell you what I had. ITs definately radio shack/Nikko. I can't really remember the functions, I would like to say it had something where you pulled the trigger a little further it was supposed to go faster, but I'm not sure. It's a "Wild Horse" I also know they had a smaller one called the "wild pony" bc a friend of mine had that one. I pulled the body and looked at the board. I have to go to work now  and can post pics when I get back so you guys can give me a better idea of what I'm working with. My dad said he went to a hobby shop asking about it once and they were rude and pretty much gave him no help. I appreciate the replies.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 21:21:51 »
that looks nice scorcher!
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 22:52:41 »
High/Low switch

Where do I look for freq????

Long black piece def has "Nikko" on it. Battery and cover say Radio shack. Radio shack is even molded into the plastic somewhere.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 22:58:56 by Thegoat »

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 22:56:32 »
Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure on the pistol grip it was push the trigger forward for revers and pull it for forward. The "boost" I remember was probably just the high low switch. I think I remember there being a window on the remote with something like a gauge with numbers. But honestly it's been so long I may be sadly mistaken.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 23:04:28 »
well all radio shacks are nikko.

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 23:39:46 »
Ah cmon. Give the noob a break.  :D

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 15:12:37 »
did it look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/27-MHz-Nikko-Full-Function-Remote-FCC-ID-HS42SQPT-11-/270637084119?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f033a2dd7

heres the other 49mh
http://cgi.ebay.com/49-MHz-Nikko-Full-Function-Remote-FCC-ID-HS42SQPT-11H-/270637085467?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f033a331b

just by your description it seams one of these would be about right, at that cost you could buy both at once or throw the dice and see if ya get lucky and buy the right one
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 12:52:30 »
A million thanks! I swear I must suck at eBay searching. Ever since I've found this truck I've been obsessing over it and got busy with work so I guess I had let up a bit.

Again, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it and I'm sure my lil boy will too.

Thegoat

• Copper Level
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 00:36:36 »
I ordered that first remote(27mhz), and it pretty much works. Steering is as it should be, but forward/reverse are backwards. Also the truck seems to be a lot slower when switched to "H". When pulling the trigger with no load, "h" definitely spins faster. Worn out motors? I bought a new battery and it was fully charged. When I was younger I could almost flip this thing with the wheelies it would pull.  Either way, it was a blast terrorizing the dogs and having my son chase it. Any ideas?

Oh, btw, Now I have the hunger for something way faster.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 00:43:17 »
since the controls are backwards, if it had a "turbo function" it wont work and kick it to its top speed