Author Topic: First day at the new job  (Read 5074 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
First day at the new job
« on: December 14, 2010, 22:19:43 »
Today was my first day at the new job. It seems like a nice place to work for. I got a tour of the place first thing in the morning. I was actually a bit surprised how closely the manufacturing side is to the IT and other "office" departments. After that we spent quite a bit of the day getting my PC setup. I got a nice, clean Windows 7 machine with dual-monitors to do web development on. I started digging into the Yii framework as soon as I could, since that appears to be what I'll be working with with a lot - so I'm pretty excited about expanding my knowledge into a direction that I've been hoping to for a while.

It's unfortunate that I have surgery scheduled within the first two weeks of starting, but the IT manager seems very understanding about it. It really does seem like a very down-to-earth place to work for, with great potential for growth.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: First day at the new job
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:33 »
So glad to hear it!  Good luck with the surgery.  I hope it goes well.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:02:38 »
I hope it provides you steady income and a good work environment.
Glad to hear you're happy so far.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 22:07:16 »
Thanks!

My first week on the job went well. I like the place and my co-workers. I've already been learning some good stuff and I'm very excited about the opportunity to expand my skill set.

The timing for my surgery is kind of good and bad, since it's right near Christmas. I'll need to take a week off work, which kind of sucks to be less than two weeks into a job and already having to take a week off, but due to Christmas and New Years they weren't expected to be big weeks anyway...
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:39:55 »
That is fortunate!  Enjoy the time off, recuperate and hit it hard next year

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 00:06:51 »
Heal fast, New Years is upon us.

:P

Hope all goes according to plan and you are in tip top shape soon.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!