Author Topic: hobby engines in tycos.  (Read 7335 times)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
hobby engines in tycos.
« on: January 02, 2011, 13:46:59 »
alright so i want to put a hobby grade engine in some of my tycos. it cant ove power the circut board or fry the gears. 

first i would need to know what kind of engines to get. and secondly how would i put the gear shaft that is attached to the tyco motor onto a hobby motor?

cars i want to put motors in.
a super fast traxx
and possibly a fast traxx
and a "bandit" thing a wanna build.

so i believe it would be 380 and 370 motors
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
Re: hobby engines in tycos.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 15:11:17 »
you just have to get a motor that has the same shaft size as the original pinion so u can swap over to the hobby motor, finding a new pinion gear that meshes with the tyco gears could be a pain, so reuse the original. then you have to change steering servos and use a speed control. i have actually wanted to do this same thing myself and actually have a bandit in mind to do it with, but iam stuck on which parts would best be suted for this.

now that bandit king is back on here im gonna find out exactly how he did the hobby shock conversion since i stumbled across that in the archives awhile back.

the fast traxx i think you would need a dual speed control, i think tamiya makes a snow type truck thats tracked like a fast traxx that you could buy a speed control for
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 15:17:29 »
how do i get the original pinion out?

and p.s. i took the twin hopper apart. and the servo centers back its like the plastic pieces that the axel rods go into have too much free space to move about. but i also think the plastic pin housing for the wheels need to be greesed 
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 15:23:46 »
the pinion is sorta a pain since there easy to mess up when you try and take off the motors shaft, ive used crude methods that work ok for this, i used some wire cutters that i could close around the bottom of the pinion between the motor housing and gear, sometimes doing that you can just pull up on the plers and they pop righ off-make sure the cutting edge of the pliers is as close to the shaft as possible to keep from knicking the teeth-

maybee the white piece is worn out or cracked, i think its 2 piecesthat slide together, maybee try swapping another onto it i think its just 1 screw holds it on
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 15:28:54 »
yeah i took that apart, and it was fine.

as for the pinion, i'll try something. i wish someone lived near me that could show me the ropes, closest i think is Savedone  :(

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 15:31:01 »
those pinions are just a pain in the azz, sureley theres a tool for the hobby grade stuff that would work but i havent seen one, but iam sure there more than one way to skin this cat. some of just pop right off the ones like whats on the bandits, they seam to be on good
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 15:34:24 »
so then how do i put it on the hobby engine this is a very grey area for me so i'm trying to picture what to do.

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 15:37:29 »
they seam to go on abit easier, i just slightly taped with the butt of a screwdriver
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 15:41:59 »
well i still need to know what engines to get. to bad notatoy isn't here he could have sown me everything to get and probably a video of how to do it

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 15:46:49 »
thats where iam stumped, on which exact parts to buy! in fact soon as you get your answers ill get mine, ive been wanting to do the one black bandit up with bandit kings shock deal along with hobby grade motor and esc
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 15:51:12 »
yeah, since i have two super fast traxx i want to make one a truely SUPER fast traxx haha

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 15:53:26 »
im really thinking that you will have a really super stripped fast traxx with hobby grade motors, more so than a bandit just for the simple fact of how you have to maneuver them, im think much more power than they already have and the gears will be dust
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 15:55:33 »
well there is that chance, but the super fast traxx is alot better built, that the others it might have tuffer gears but that could be true. notatoy did make his fast traxx hobby grade though

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 16:31:29 »
the rear ends in the bandits/hoppers strip bad enough that you will end up stripping your gears out after one battery if you put any hotter of a motor in them

The only way to make real power is to press off the wheels make wheel adaptors and fit a hobby rear end into your bandit
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 16:33:26 »
have you done this? the fitting? if that route was taken, then a brushless set up could be used right?
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator