Author Topic: outlaw hobby car, faster than 9.6v turbo cars  (Read 26672 times)

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
Re: outlaw hobby car in progress
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 21:19:13 »
cz, I could help you make any tyco as fast as you could ever want it

First thing in modifying a bandit is to use only the truck without a differential, trucks with the diff have weak gears and any mod motor will strip the gears

You can use the rc18 electronics just fine like I have with the outlaw. On the outlaw just changing the speed control alone doubled the power using the same voltage (7.2v). On a bandit you can do the same and I would imagine running even the 7.2v in the bandit would give you about the same if not more power than a bandit on 9.6v.

If you want to start out with a good brushed motor that will give you as much power as you ever will be able to control than go with the trinity monster 380 17turn motor, its the same one I have in the OFF-ROADER. You can run it with 7.2v and it will be fast as hell and if you have a speed control that runs it with Li-po batteries you can run up to 11.1v and it will totally scream.

If you run a brushless motor in it it will run a little bit faster but the biggest thing about the brushless is that it will hold all the voltage you can throw at it without burning up or needing any maintenance almost ever. If you ever got brave enough to run anything more than the 7.4v and brushless in it, it would either strip the gear or you would never be able to get the thing up to top speed

Remember that lipo and regular batteries put out much different power even at similar voltages and these are the voltages

Ni-cd Ni-mh            Li-po

7.2v                       7.4v
8.4v                       11.1v

7.4v Li-po batteries will put out much more than the 7.2v nicd or nimh and they actually put out more power than even the 9.6v battery. Running the 11.1v lipo would be like running 2 9.6v batteries.

If you buy a speed control for it go with the mamba 1/18 scale micro pro. Not only will it handle lipo batteries but you can run either brushed or brushless on it. The greatest thing about it is you can plug it into your computer and actually adjust all your power curves and turn your power to where it kicks in exactly how much you want it to. You can ever set the map to where it has hardly any power and at any speed you want it can all kick in. I have turned the power on mine almost all the way down and its still more than enough. There are about 20 different things you can adjust on the speed control.

So basically you can run stock rc18 with the monster 380 and a 8.4v nimh and it will be all the power you could want or you could get a brushless and leave it at 7.4v lipo, be able to turn it down so you cant accidentally strip gears or spin out and still have all the power and speed you could want and your run time can be well over an hour on a lipo

Heres what to consider in making the truck go excess speeds:

1.   What actually limits the top speeds of these trucks is the stability. To be able to achieve extreme high speeds would #1 require an exactly precise steering setup where you have absolutely no play in it and it must be arrow straight. Any movement in the steering will cause it to go out of control and crash horribly.

2. The suspension must not only be able to handle any little bumps that you know will be a factor at speeds but also be able to respond with the given surface. Whats happening is that the truck already is constantly bouncing meaning that the truck is breaking traction and the tires aren't locked to the ground, that is why they spin out so easily. The rear suspension just simply cannot travel as fast as it needs to respond due to there being more weight carried by the axle than the back of the truck. You would absolutely have to convert the front suspension and at least soften the rear. Not doing so the truck will be bouncing so much that any throttle above 25-30mph will cause a spin. Adding weight can help make up the difference and let the axle respond instead of just moving the entire truck up. As you know, the rear suspension stock serves almost no purpose besides a light cushion.

3. You can only go as fast as the tires will allow. Anything over 30mph and the tires will most likely start expanding which will not only cause them to possibly come off the wheels but also being as old as they are could damage them. The tires might be able to handle 30mph or even up to 60mph.

You may not be building a car to go more than 30mph but what you need to do is scale this down and us it for your advantage for any speed you want it to go. Anything more than stock and you need it to handle and be as stable as it can. Having a locked rear axle makes it much more likely to spin out than having a diff which you cant use in this case so anything to keep the truck straight is crucial to going hi speeds.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 23:27:02 by Tyco Bandit King »
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 22:33:02 »
thanks bandit king.....simplified it for me a bit!!! i was looking at that esc the mamba pro actually, i liked the idea of the li pos, since they can be had small enuff that possibly 2 cells could fit in the battery tray with no mods, it appears you can get them in different sizes. ill probally buy the 2 parts you mentioned and go from there. now to find a good rx and servo and ill be on the track.

i kinda like the idea of going the brushed route cause iam hoping to retain the original look,

i seen you said you may beable to get some aluminum gears made for a bandit, when/if you get that going put me down for a set! perfect for the brushless bandit
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 22:53:27 »
will a 380 fit in the bandits diff?
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 23:13:59 »
Make sure you get a nice FM radio and don't consider an AM since they have a lot of interference.

When I have him make some I will get him to do 5 or 6 sets, I will keep 3 and sell the rest for x amount.

Yes they are the same size

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 23:36:03 »
Remember the wheels are pressed on and to get the motor out you must press the axles back out. Most people destroy the wheels when trying to press them off but if done careful and with the right tooling it can be done without harming the wheels

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 23:57:07 »
well luckily i found with just the right finess you can get the motor out of the bandits without removing the wheels, however i also found out i could remove one wheel by really gentley holding one wheel and twisting the other, accorse it takes a concoction to put it back on without dinging the wheel.

sounds good on the gear sets, be sure and keep me at the top of the line on at least one set, id rather go brushless this route than any other way
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 00:22:14 »
well i like these guides, and put me right after preformer for atleast a set. along with a set of bandit stickers.

do you think one of you could make a video of making it hobby grade, i'm very tentitive about all this since i have no experiance what so ever. includinding the shock set up.

so i know some parts needed like the kind of motor, the rc18 electronics, a solid axel rear, what else?
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 00:25:02 »
yeah you can pull the motor out without taking the axles off but you still have to take the axles off because to put in a modified motor you need to modify the motor plate to hold the new motor. The thing is the stock motor isnt screwed in, its pushed on to 2 little tabs molded into the motor plate and they can break easily under power. The OFF-ROADER had the same thing so I took the plate out and drilled the holes out and mounted the motor with screws. A lot of the time the center of a modified motor has a bigger diameter than the stock motor and wont allow it to go all the way on the the plate so most the time youve gotta drill that out too which means taking the case apart

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 00:41:14 »
i didnt even think about that aspect of it, what exactly is your method of removing the wheels
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 00:42:41 »
cz, ill at least post some detailed pics, but this being my first, it may scare ya away from it lol......we better let bandit king to the narrated video..
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 00:54:41 »
fair enough, i just need a step by step guide haha
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 01:03:10 »
I wouldnt mind making a video of some of these conversions, just need an open sunday.

When I get the gears made I will post the extras here 1st as well as the decals

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 01:15:43 »
alright cool. but preformer and i get dibs!

would you be able to list what is needed for the shock set up?

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:07 »
There are several ways to get them off. One of the ways I did it worked on a new bright rc truck

1.  evenly support the entire backside of the the wheel with the vice mounted on a work bench. Gotta be creative on what you use to support the wheel while its on a vice. once the wheel is flat and supported, take a thin punch and hammer on the center of the axle until it falls out. I did this to repair a front hub on a 4WD new bright jeep from 1993

2. carefully twist each wheel allow the fitting to slide off. Make sure you pull both wheels outward that way the hex can get as much bite on the wheel to try to keep from stripping out the wheel. I did this also on the same new bright jeep and twisting it spun out a press fitting and it no longer held pressure so i had to glue that hub to get it to hold, be very careful this route

3. take hacksaw and cut the axle off, the case will then come right off haha

heres an updated pic of the finish outlaw conversion

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 01:28:24 »
yeah the number 2 method is the one i used before, i was even lucky that i was able to re use the pressed on nut.

number 3 sounds good, think ill try that right after i snapp the whole housing from the chassis to get a better look at it
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

black fast traxx truck

eliminator