Author Topic: Project: Wild Thing  (Read 4803 times)

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
Project: Wild Thing
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:24:50 »
So I bought a 9.6v Wild Thing turbo hopper off ebay a few years back that is in great running shape but thats about it. The guy had used this thing pretty well and broke off anything and everything he could so as of right now its about as light as it can be

When I got it the left rear wheel was stripped out and the best way I thought to repair one was with a little trick I came up with. I dont  recommend doing this on a nice tyco but this one is a total driver so its ok and now it cant be broke, ive already tried.

I will be running to the hobby shop today to get a mod motor for it and see how it does. The goal is to try to make this as fast as it can be on the stock electronics. If I cant get it over 25mph than I will go all out and convert it over to hobby

To fix this wheel I took a dremel cutting bit and cut far enough down into the wheel to be able to fit cut-up body clips down inside. I made sure they were bent and sat flush to ensure strength then glued them in there. Yeah it looks like hell but beats the other guys method of melting the wheel to get it to hold which only burnt it and make it worse

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:31:31 by Tyco Bandit King »
More R/C cars than your local hobby shop

Old school is the only way to go

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
Re: Project: Wild Thing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 19:31:06 »
Ok so I went to the hobby shop today and bought a little Team Losi insane 370 motor. It is a super hot modified motor and I was able to install it while I was there. I took it outside just now and in low gear its faster than it used to be in high gear lol. Its a very high winding motor and due to it pulling soo much current it overloads the speed control in high gear and wont go as fast. This means that if I convert to hobby electronics this thing will haul total ass

The thing is, with the wheels off the ground they will spin soooo fast in high gear that I wont dare let the go full power because the tires expand a ton and the axle shakes violently

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 20:37:27 »
so the insane 370s good? i have 2 on my ebay watch list, wasnt sure about them but theyre priced right.

i tried to put a hobby motor in a bandit-stock electronics- same issue
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

Tyco Bandit King

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 20:54:25 »
The 370 is a great motor either way but the trinity 380 monster motor would be a bit better. Either way you must convert to hobby electronics or you will either 1 get less than half the actual power or 2 you will burn up the electronics. The speed control isnt made to flow that much current and isnt giving the truck any power. After running it for 2 mins I could distinctly smell the speed control cooking.

Simply put, do not install a mod motor in any tyco unless it is a very lightly modded motor. If you do upgrade you really need to do the hobby electronics as well. Im just stuck on whether I wanna turn this to a hobby car or not as it has perfect original electronics. I might just do it anyway since ive already got the motor.

performerrpm

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 20:57:59 »
yep, i could smell mine burning up too when i did it this past summer, i put it back to stock after that.

both the bandits i will be doing have perfect electronics, i been thinkin bout just converting one of them over to hobby grade stuff just for that reason, accorse both need the shock mod done
my current r/cs

bad boy black bandit-40+

nib red bandit

red bandit in box

black bandit stock

hobby graded suspension bandit

black fast traxx truck

eliminator

SavedONE

• Bronze Level
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 21:57:16 »
-looks like you may have to glue the tires too.  You can use a couple wraps of duct tape on the inside of the tires, to really help cut down on the ballooning.  Pro guys do this at times w/touring car tires, (I have years worth of RCCA & other mags in my mind-LOL)!!! :)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 22:12:36 »
do you want a nice body for that? i have one that is lacking a cage. and some other stuff

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 22:41:12 by czstycor/c »
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

SavedONE

• Bronze Level
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:20 »
-Hey, I had the red "Heads Up" :)

scorcher

• Platinum Level
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:09 »
good work the losi frenzy 370 is pretty good to not as good as the insane tho the tyco electrics dont take long to cook do they lol
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:51 »
i only have the body savedone haha
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"