Author Topic: And You Are...?  (Read 4885 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
And You Are...?
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:22:03 »
If someone came up to you on the street and said, "blue is the best color" then just walked away, would that mean absolutely anything to you?

With the advent of texting and tweeting, there seems to be a new trend happening.  People going into random forums and blerting out a meaningless opinion on something.  Not adding anything tangible to a discussion... nope.  Just saying things like "I like Twilight", and "That sounds cool."  Even a short entry like that might be okay, if it wasn't your first and only post in the forum, but if that's all I know about you, then I must say, "So the eff what?"

Of course, I'm not referring to people who are regular posters, nor am I trying to discourage new people from posting in the forums, but I feel I must point out that no one really cares about random opinions of people they don't know.  If you want me to care that you're stoked about the new Harry Potter movie, then it would help to know something about you.  Or failing that, just elaborate on WHY you're stoked.  Otherwise, you add nothing, and I have zero interest... and if you put up five such posts in under five minutes, I'm inclined to view it as spamming, and would definately vote to ban you were this a democracy. 

I doubt that the people who have already done this will read this post, since they will probably never visit the site again, and only came here in the first place because their search for a movie brought them to a two year old thread they felt the need to revive.  However, maybe someone new might read this and take the opportunity to elabrate on their opinions, because that, I'd actually like to see.  Take the time to show us you have a brain before you go, because I'm sure it's in there somewhere under a haze of vampires, wizards and self-importance.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: And You Are...?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 23:33:48 »
I like what you've said. It's cool.  ;D

Ok. Now that I'm done joking around with my vague post... unfortunately the best that I can say to show you that I have something of a brain today is this: Feel free to ban them.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 18:05:51 »
I just want to say that I get the irony of following that rant by calling people out on their sense of self-importance, but it just seems that there are more people out there spraying their mal-formed opinions like runny bird poop all over the internet to every site they can google.

I wasn't implying that anyone who gives a short relpy of agreement falls into this category.  Especially when it's backed up with plenty of other posts about them, lending weight to what it means for them to like something.  I guess my problem is lack of context.

I, for example, am a hate-filled asshole.  A fact which is certainly backed by my many sarcastic, overbearing posts.  So if I say I like something, you can bet it's good, because I must have so little joy in my life that anything that can crack my bitter shell and form a smile on my crease-ridden, sour puss must be worth checking out.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 21:11:31 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 20:54:41 »
Well said, that said, I'm out.

:P
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

aaliya

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:08:27 »
Really?
But I don't wanna be out?