Author Topic: Once Upon A Time...  (Read 6021 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Once Upon A Time...
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:10:05 »
"Once upon a time there was a Wolf (played card), who lived on a Mountain (played card)."

"You can only play one card per sentence."

"I did. 'Once upon a time there was a Wolf, period! He lived on a Mountain, period!'"

That was the beginning of our first, and probably last, experience playing a card game called Once Upon A Time..., with Beth opening the game up laying down 4 or 5 cards in quick succession. I believe that the card game is supposed to encourage players to create elaborate stories which would allow other players to play interrupting cards and chime in with their own branch of the story. It sounds very interesting, but this execution was no where near as elegant. As Chris was explaining the game, I could already tell I was going to lose, since I lack the quick wit necessary to come up with a story in 5 seconds, but I had no idea that the winner would ruin the game so badly that Chris would never want to bring it out again.

The rules require that only one card be played per sentence, so Beth tried to follow along with that, telling a story that was reminiscent of a Dick and Jane story book. It was terrible. Thankfully, Chris was able to interrupt and bring richness to the story. I interrupted a couple times, but not enough to add much, just a couple character cards based on what the other two had said. I could barely come up with a sentence to go along with each of the cards I played. Within no time, Beth had reclaimed the story and wrapped it up with her ending. Chris sat in disbelief that anyone could ruin the spirit of the game so badly.

Now that we've set the bar so low for Chris and Once Upon A Time..., I can only hope that some day he will find the right group to have an enjoyable game. It really seems like it could be fun, but for me, I'd still much rather watch from the sidelines.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Once Upon A Time...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:34:18 »
I take full responsibility.  At the end of the rules I did say, "other than that, you're only limited by your own imaginations", so it was in fact I who set the bar so low for everybody. ;D

To be fair to you guys though, all of your storytelling for the past few years has been geared to kids under 6.

So I'm giving you homework.  When you're reading a story to your kids add at least one new, relevent sentence per page.  Something that adds a little color or background to the characters.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 15:13:43 »
Homework??    ???

What kind of game is that?

Anyways, I would really like to get together for a game night/day. Tuesdays are bad for me, but I'm readily available just about any other day besides Tuesday and Sunday.

Just thought I'd ask.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 17:05:17 »
Homework??    ???

What kind of game is that?

It's like Dungeon Master homework.  ;)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 19:49:20 »
TampaMac!! I hear you loud and clear...

We WERE doing Friday nights at Pendragon.  Did we want to start that NEXT Friday?  Would another night be better?

By the way...that game sounds fun!!  I would like to try it.  The kids and I actually play a similar type of game without cards.   We each get a turn to start the story and we go round robin adding parts when it's our turn.   I like the idea of creative inrruption!!!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 13:55:42 »
We can definatel try it, Wylders.  It's in my gaming repertoire, and by repertoire I mean my car.

The homework is more of an exercise to better creativity.  I have a few games that are way more fun with verbal embellishment (i.e. Gloom, Witch Trial), and it would be nice to have that sort of game in the rotation.

Maybe next time, we could warm up with one of those other games first.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:37:19 »
I'm up for Friday's. I get off work at 4:30p and I'm not too far from Tarpon Springs. What time are we aiming for, 6pm?
I could just get a bite to eat and hang out in the area until 6 if so.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:47:26 »
Fridays sound good to me too, and 6pm is the earliest for me given where I live.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:25 »
I'm off this Friday. I could car pool with Dragon.
Let me know.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 19:48:38 »
This Friday I am going to see my daughter be an Oompa Loompa in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory play at Safety Harbor Middle School!!  :)

We'll have to plan for NEXT Friday?   :P