Author Topic: Game night in Clearwater  (Read 6452 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Game night in Clearwater
« on: August 13, 2009, 17:00:52 »
Last night was the first of our scheduled Wednesday night gaming events. We've decided to have an almost bi-weekly event on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month and the events will probably alternate between Clearwater and Port Richey.

The Unnamable Chris and I arrived at Wyldwing's house around 6:15. "Big Mac" (as introduced by Charles to his wife) was already there playing Pirateer. TylerChuit arrived soon after with Galaxy Trucker and The Internet (The IT Crowd special edition) in his hands. Wyldwing was anxious to get into Galaxy Trucker and managed to quickly end the game with Mac. I'm not certain who the winner of that game was.

Since Galaxy Trucker is only for 4 players (unless you have the expansion), TylerChuit decided to run the game like a GM so that the 4 of us could play. This also put us all on even ground since no other player had any prior experience with the game. TylerChuit told us that we were just going to play a test round, but we continued beyond the first round so it pretty much turned into a test game.

In the first round all of us made plenty of mistakes with building and incorrectly flipping tiles and most of us seemed to get a small amount of cash from the trip.

We moved into the second round where I built the largest ship of the group. I messed up by building an alien pod next to the center cabin of my ship, but I was allowed to put my alien inside since we hadn't been told about that rule ahead of time. Although I had some very weak points in my ship, I had the largest crew, plenty of storage, and a reasonable amount of weapons and shields. I managed to keep my ship intact that round and the crew alone seemed to give me plenty of options during that round of the game, so I picked up a massive chunk of cash that round.

The third round we chose to use the standard space ship with a 3-1 vote. I tried to reinforce the structure of my ship better that time, but had unfortunately left myself very weak on one side and had no lasers or shields to block attacks from the side or rear. After seeing the desirable affects of having a large crew, The Unnamable Chris built several cabins, but still managed to have one less crew member than I did. Wyldwing and Mac appeared to build more heavily with lasers and shields. Unfortunately, Mac was the first to lose nearly half his ship with a single hit from the rear and soon after that my ship started to get ripped apart. Wyldwing's ship was fast and held together well. He also had a reasonable amount of storage space. He used his massive lead to control what was available to everyone else, even though he was constantly discarding cargo to replace it with more valuable crates.

In the end, even though I thought round 2 had secured my lead, Wyldwing won the game.

After that we moved on to Condottierre. Wyldwing had recently played an older version of the game in California, so we discussed some differences before we started the game. We agreed to use the Draw After Combat variant, which gives the players 7 cards to start, rather than 10, but allows everyone to draw 3 cards after each battle, rather than waiting for Rounds to end.

The battles were intense, and although Charles had some recent experience with the game, he failed to claim even one territory. Mac took some good positions near the beginning of the game, but never managed to get them connected. I had nearly claimed the 5 territories that I needed to win, but was just a little short in the end. TylerChuit did his best to block anyone from a clear win, but in the end we all failed to stop The Unnamable One.

The night ended late, but we all had a good time (at least as far as I could tell), and are looking forward to our next event in two weeks.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Re: Game night in Clearwater
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 18:14:00 »
Yes!! I had a fantastic time.  I should have done better in the game of Condottiere.  I tried to claim territories, and there are several battles where I thought for sure I'd win.  But a few Bishops and a winter or two later...I just couldn't perform!!

Luckily my wins at Pirateer and Galaxy Trucker were enough to make me feel better, although it WAS the test game!!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 20:43:17 »
Um, I was trying to block others from the win by winning my own self.  I had 4 territories as well, and if I hadn't got hit with that last pope, I would have had my 5th. :(

I liked the way we did Galaxy Trucker.  When I'm explaining a new game, I always feel a bit guilty if I forget to relay a rule until halfway through, but since I didn't have a personal stake this time, I didn't feel like that was cheating. ;)  Also, explaining the game takes away from my own strategizing, and when everyone is grabbing ship tiles at the same time, that would have been frustrating.  This way was definately more fun, and will make the next time we play that much better.

I think in future I will sit out of any new game I am explaining, unless there's only 1 other person that is.  I do tend to feel that I have an unfair advantage if I'm playing AND telling people the rules as we go.   Even if I win fairly, I still feel like I've cheated by not explaining things good enough.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 20:58:06 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 00:35:44 »
Oops. Sorry about that I didn't remember you were so close to winning. I had a strong memory of you commenting near the end about how you had tried your best to block The Unnamable Chris while it was just you and Charles battling him for a territory. Also, Charles had mentioned just prior that the "Big Two were out" while referring to Mac and me.

I appreciate you running the Galaxy Trucker game, and I think I understand your point about the frustration of teaching the game while trying to play it well yourself. I also see a good point for stepping back from some games, especially in the case of 4 new players in a game that only fits 4 players, but I think there are too many games that not everyone knows how to play to say that any potential player should sit out for that reason. When the max-player limit is exceeded, which might come up more often if we have 5 players at each event, I can definitely understand someone sitting out when playing against a group of newbies due to a lack of room, but why bow out just because you know more about the game?

In a way, isn't every new game pretty much a "Test Game" the first time that we play, regardless of who is playing? We're not playing for money, we're playing for fun. Sometimes it's fun to see what the guy who knows the game does, and then use that strategy in the next game or maybe just the next round and see if it really does what we though we just saw. (I've been there, on both sides.) Sometimes it's fun to stomp a player at his own game. (I've been there, on both sides.)

I just don't want you to put yourself in a position that you feel bad for playing against people who don't know the game. I also wouldn't want to be put into a position where you (or any other game owner) might feel like they shouldn't play a game even when there is room. I hope this is all coming across in a friendly manner, and we're seeing eye to eye on my point (figuratively, of course ;) ).
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 06:31:21 »
I actually liked the fact that Chris "DM'd" the game.  He we obviously enjoying himself doing it, and he's right...with the ship tiles picking segment of the game, it would been frustrating trying to piece together the ship, while at the same time, answering inane questions about parts of the game that he's already explained!!  8)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:07:44 »
I've been in situations where I knew the game and the person explaining knew the game but everyone else was new.  In those situations, I had no problem. 

It's just when the responsibility for passing on the rules is mineI have an anxiety about not forgetting anything.  That coupled with the person who INVARIABLY says, "oh you didn't explain that."  Even if I did, it still makes me feel like I didn't explain it well enough or make a big enough point of it.  That gives me a feeling that I've done something shifty, and I subsequently enjoy the game less.  That's all I'm saying.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:21:29 »
I enjoyed the game night very much. I think I snapped once about losing some of my ship and as each player took a look at how much I lost, I had to hear another, Wow. You lost a lot.   yeah yeah yeah, I snapped back a bit. I apologize.

Charles and I played Privateer twice, I managed to lose both times. I completely blame Charles for giving me the wrong set of dice, simply put, If I had rolled what he rolled, I would have won instead of him.  *folds arms on chest*

The Galaxy Trucker game was very interesting. I always found myself to be the last one building a ship, which put me thoroughly in last place, most of the time. I'm not sure how I could have sped up the building, maybe I'll light a fire under my butt next time and get 'er done.

I look forward to our next meeting. I had no idea how close to Charles's house I work, it is very easy and convenient for me to get there. However, I also live very close to Dragon's house, so getting to either location is very easy for me. Heck, I may even host an event. I have a large table with six chairs and plenty of room. If the opportunity presents itself, ask me, we can do it at my house sometime.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:08 »
Just wait till we play with the full rules on Galaxy Trucker.  ;)  There are conditions under which you don't finish at all, and we actually had a few of those in our "practice" game.  Both cases were voluntary if I remember correctly, but still.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 15:17:58 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:54 »
Hey Mac, since we were talking about having the next Wednesday night event in Port Richey and my wife and I are in the middle of rearranging the house (almost like one of those sliding puzzles where you're trying to get the right picture in the end), maybe you'd like to host the next event on August 26th.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 21:05:04 »
I think that is do-able. I'll check in with the significant other and see how she likes it.
I'll get back to you on that.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!