Author Topic: Gamester's Hobby Grade Short Course 9.6V Bandit Project  (Read 8675 times)

Gamester

• Silver Level
Hey guys,

Here is a project that I did some time ago that you guys might be interested in.  The goal of this project was to make the best hobby grade Bandit truck possible and I think it turned out pretty darn awesome.

I started with a Losi 1/18 chassis and made some adjustments to the wheelbase and reworked a few others things to be able to mount the Tyco body as well as added several upgrades to the chassis.  To get the lowered center of gravity stance I needed for this truck the underside and bed of the body had to be trimmed.  The front/rear bumpers are from the 1/18 Losi ST truck.  As an added touch, I also fitted the rollbar with a usable spare tire in true Bandit fashion and added functional headlights/fog lights for night driving.

The original 7.2V mini-C battery setup didn't have the power I wanted, so I modified the battery compartment to accept 9.6V battery pack and beefed up the ESC to handle it.  This gave less weight and higher power; not to mention keeping true to the Bandit's 9.6V platform.

Full specs:
Losi 1/18 Mini Desert Buggy Chassis
Atomic 380 40,000RPM Ball Bearing Motor
Axial AE-1 Reversible ESC
Traxxas 2.4Ghz Radio Gear
Losi Aluminum Oil Filled Shocks
Steel Transmission Gears
Titanium Spur and Pinion Gears
Full Ball-Bearings
RAM headlights and High Intensity LED Fog Lights
2600Mah 9.6V NIMH Battery

Top Speed ~30MPH

So, how does it perform you ask?; awesome!  With the lightweight/high power setup, this thing can literately fly!  It is very well balanced and can handle monster dirt jumps without a hitch; it can even keep up with my brushless Traxxas 1/16 4X4 Slash truck! 

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 17:08:18 by Gamester »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Gamester's Hobby Grade Short Course 9.6V Bandit Project
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 23:38:43 »
That looks cool. Thanks again for sharing.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Gamester

• Silver Level
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 14:42:56 »
Thanks, too bad Tyco didn't make the Bandit this way originally, right? ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:14:43 by Gamester »

stussels

• Silver Level
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 20:01:13 »
thats badass!

Gamester