Author Topic: Board Game Calendar Weekly Challenges  (Read 11359 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Board Game Calendar Weekly Challenges
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 16:20:31 »
Week 39 - Play a game that was published with the last year. [✓] We played Farting Cows And The End Of The World.

Week 40 - Play a game outside.

I may or may not actually complete this challenge, but I think I'm going to at least post up a couple games I have that might fit the challenge. For this week's challenge, obviously games that don't have a bunch of pieces or cards to fly away are going to be the best options. My suggestions: Cathedral, Quarto, or Rumis
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:38:02 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 16:18:26 »
Week 41 - Play a game completely backwards.

??? I'm really curious about what people would do for that challenge. I guess maybe a game like Sorry, where you're trying to get all your pieces from one place to another might work. Would Chinese Checkers backwards be any different than Chinese Checkers forward? (Is that game still called that?)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 21:39:53 »
Week 42 - Play a two player game.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 10:29:27 »
Sorry about forgetting to post here about the Weekly challenges. I?ll take a moment to catch up here.

Week 43 - Play a game via email.

Week 44 - Play a zombie game.

Week 45 - Play a game on your lunch break.

Week 46 - Play a print-and-play game.

Week 47 - Play a game that was designed over 100 years ago.

Week 48 - Play a game that isn?t published in your native language.

Although I did play at least one game most of those weeks, I didn?t complete any of the challenges... probably because I wasn?t really thinking about them when I had a chance to play something. Also, I have still been playing asynchronous-turn-based games on www.boardgamearena.com, which is kind of like playing via email but a lot less work involved since all the visuals and rules are managed there, like a video game.

For this week?s challenge, maybe I can get my son and wife to play Union Pacific with me. It?s an American railroad themed game, but I believe it was only published in German. (I got an English translation of the rules on a separate piece of paper.)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 23:33:00 »
Week 49 - Play a dexterity game.

Week 50 - Play a partnership game.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 20:45:04 »
Week 51 - Play a solo game.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 08:20:12 »
Week 51 - Play a solo game. [✓] I played Castles Of Mad King Ludwig

Week 52 - Play a game with David.

Week 53 - Play a game at a friendly local game store.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 19:29:25 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 01:17:14 »
We finished out this year playing Caylus 1303 on New Years Eve. Fun game. I won by a single point over Isaac and nearly double Beth's score.

I counted all the times that I've played games with someone over the past year. These were face-to-face table top games, or on rare occasions, BoardGameArena hot-seat mode. I played 66 different games this year; 30 of them were played 2 or more times, with Caylus 1303 being the last one to make that cut for 2020.

The 12 most played games for us (me with my immediate family for the most part) for 2020 were:

First, played 8 times:
Farting Cows And The End Of The World

Second, played 7 times:
Dinosaur Tea Party

Then, with 6 plays each:
Silver & Gold
Splendor
Agricola

Followed by these, with 5 plays each:
Redemption
Coloretto

And finally, with these rounding out the Top 12, with 4 plays each:
Logger
Castles Of Mad King Ludwig
Hero Quest
Stone Age

In the back of the calendar there was a section for a 10x10 Game Challenge, which I hadn't heard of before, but simply is a matter of picking 10 games that you'll try to play 10 times throughout the year. I mentioned it to my wife and she said that Caylus 1303 should be one that we put on that list for 2021.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 21:18:59 »
The new weekly game challenges for 2021:

Week 1 - Play the most expensive game in your collection.

Week 2 - Play a game you own, then send it as a gift to a friend.

Week 3 - Play a marathon of at least 5 games in a row.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 12:43:43 »
Week 4 - Play a game about traditions.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 10:56:36 »
Week 5 - Play a game you have never won.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 09:51:54 »
Week 6 - Play a game which involves drawing components from a bag.

Week 7 - Play the first game that comes to your mind.

Week 8 - Play a game from a small publisher.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 21:25:51 »
Week 9 - Play a game whose game board would be fantastic as wall art.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 17:32:14 »
Week 10 - Play a game set in a real-world country.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 22:35:30 »
Week 11 - Play a game illustrated by more than one artist.