Author Topic: Stone Age  (Read 2181 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Stone Age
« on: January 03, 2022, 11:36:22 »
Stone Age is another game that we played on the first of the new year. It is currently one of my favorite games. The game has each player controlling a tribe of people that need to build up their village by collecting resources, building huts, adding people to the tribe, and feeding everyone.

I played the game with my son, Isaac, and my wife, Beth. Isaac started the game placing a worker in the agriculture area and I started off collecting tools rather than adding people to my tribe. For much of the first part of the game, of course, I chose to advance agriculture for my own tribe when I had the option, but focused initially on getting tools, while Isaac and Beth added people to their tribes. I managed to get some huts built a bit earlier than either of them, and collected culture cards, while only growing my tribe moderately closer to the end of the game.

At the final scoring of the game, I started off behind both Beth and Isaac, but we were all within a range of about 10 points. I scored my bonus cards first, and managed to nearly double my score, jumping to 150 points, mostly due to having the most unique culture cards. Beth came around but had about 10 points less than I did, but Isaac had some bonus points for how many people he had in his tribe which really boosted his score, so he finished in first place with over 170 points.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Re: Stone Age
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 10:13:00 »
this game has been sitting on my shelf never played for probably 5 years now, I got it to hopefully replace settlers of catan but I don't play that anymore either haha
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 16:48:52 »
Never played it at all? It's a very fun game to me. My wife and son still prefer playing Settlers Of Catan over Stone Age, but I think that's just because they know how to play that one better.

The first time I played Stone Age was online at www.boardgamearena.com. If you're ever playing on there, feel free to add me. I usually play a few different "Turn-Based" games at the same time.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 23:51:06 »
Never played! I bought it because I liked the ability to mitigate the randomness of dice rolling. And life it busy that new games are hard to have time to teach if they aren’t really quick. A 3year old and 11 month old don’t help haha. I haven’t used BoardGamearena yet. App based version are usually better for me
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 12:23:00 »
That's understandable. Kids will take up a lot of time. BoardGameArena.com (aka BGA) has lots of games that are great to play on a phone or tablet. I don't think they have anything in the Google Play store or Apple App Store, but if you open the app in your mobile browser, I think it will prompt you to install it on your home screen for quicker access.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 14:50:35 »
I'll have to try that, cause it would be nice to try out some game before buying them

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 19:58:58 »
I've played a few games that I wasn't familiar with before and even made at least 3 purchases after playing games on BGA. My username on there is "Dragon76N".

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 12:26:04 »
FYI I added you on BGA i'm csummy

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 17:00:27 »
Cool. See you there!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 17:11:02 »
I played Stone Age with my two youngest daughters again. It was actually suggested by one of them recently, so I was happy to jump at the opportunity to play a game with them.

Both girls did well. Anna was the first one with points on the board, but Grace and I caught up soon after. In the end, I had many cards that I bought and before I had even finished scoring up a quarter of my cards, I had jumped from the back to the front in score.