Author Topic: Dominion  (Read 17395 times)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
Dominion
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:27 »
Well... I'm glad you resurrected your old thread since I got this game as a Christmas present. (Thanks again Chris!!)

I read through the rules tonight and looked through most of the cards. Although I haven't played it yet, I think I can say with confidence that this game is something we will have a lot of fun playing. The 25 decks of cards are all optional, as you only use 10 decks per game and I don't think that they will make the game too complicated... it would just give us some more options to play with.

I also noticed that Dominion already has an expansion out which adds some new decks, which should increase the variety of gameplay.

(I tried to use as much of Nathaniel's post as possible...call it...digital recycling).

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
Re: Dominion
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 21:38:17 »
Just finished my first game of Dominion with Kamryn and Wendy.  They both enjoyed it and I had a lot of fun.  Can't wait to play it with you guys...it is (rightfully so) limited to 4 players.  But a very cool game.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:50:27 »
There are actually two expansions out for this game.  The first one will expand the experience to up to 6 players!!  I will have to wait on purchasing Seaside, but I will be calling Patrick and Tim to find out how the 6 player version works for them.  Sometimes adding that ability changes the game into something that isn't fun anymore...can't imagine that with Dominion...but I'll find out.  Unfortunately, Emerald City doesn't carry Intrigue.  I'd have to order it online.

Dominion: Intrigue
Dominion: Intrigue adds rules for playing with up to 8 players at two tables or for playing a single game with up to 6 players. This game adds 25 new Kingdom cards and a complete set of Treasure and Victory cards. The game can be played alone by players experienced in Dominion or with the basic game of Dominion.

Dominion: Seaside
All you ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by. And someone who knows how to steer ships using stars. You finally got some of those rivers you'd wanted, and they led to the sea. These are dangerous, pirate-infested waters, and you cautiously send rat-infested ships across them, to establish lucrative trade at far-off merchant-infested ports.

First, you will take over some islands, as a foothold. The natives seem friendly enough, crying their peace cries, and giving you spears and poison darts before you are even close enough to accept them properly. When you finally reach those ports you will conquer them, and from there you will look for more rivers. One day, all the rivers will be yours.

This is the 2nd addition to Dominion. It adds 26 new Kingdom cards. Its central theme is your next turn; there are cards that do something this turn and next, cards that set up your next turn, and other ways to step outside of the bounds of a normal turn.

Dominion: Seaside is an expansion to both Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue. As such, it does not contain material for a complete game. Specifically, it does not include the Treasure, Victory, Curse, or Trash cards. Thus, you will need either the base game or Intrigue to play with this expansion and have experience playing Dominion with either of the first two games. It is designed to work with either or both of these sets, and any future expansions that may be published.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:03 »
I saw the Seaside expansion in the store.  I personally have enough trouble keeping track of what I'm doing in my current turn of Dominion, much less trying to remember what I'm supposed to do later. ::)
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

the unnamable

• Bronze Level
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 23:15:54 »
i just picked up a copy of dominion alcamey i have had a copy of dominion for a cople of weeks now i have played a cople of games now and my friends seem to like it i have only looked over the alcamey cards and cant wait to play with them

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 17:15:27 »
This begs two questions...  1. What kind of stuff is in the Alchemy expansion?  2. Why have you never invited your one group of gaming friends to game with your other group of gaming friends? :'(  Ashamed of us?

the unnamable

• Bronze Level
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 19:55:00 »
1-well the card that stand out the most is possession it lets you take control of the player to you lefts turn and gain any cards he buys and there potions that are a new form of money that some cards cost
2- i have been trying
i am going to have another gaming session with them Monday or Tuesday any of you are welcome to join

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
Dominion "The Simmers Variant"
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 19:57:01 »
I'm transcribing this from an episode of "The Dice Tower" podcast ep. 169.  It was a house variant suggested by a guy named John Simmers to the Dice Tower guys, and I thought it was intriguing given our recent discovery of Dominion.

--------------------------------------------

"This variant plays exactly like normal Dominion, but the setup is different, and the whole turn-out depends on it.

"Instead of randomizing the kingdom cards or using a prescribed 10-card setup, players take turns choosing supply cards.  The catch is though, that only the player choosing those cards will get to use them... except for one anyway.

"So, here's how it looks.  Player-A flips through the randomizers... until he finds the supply he wants.  He takes that card and puts it in front of him.  Player-B picks a different card and puts it in front of him.  If there are more players they each do the same thing.

"This continues until each player has four cards representing the supply piles before them.  Players will have exclusive rights to buy from these.  No one else will be able to, but there's a balancer here because one card's rights will be revoked.

"As the next step, each player will secretly choose a card from the person to their left.  When everybody is ready, someone says 'go' and all players simultaneously point to one card in front of the player to their left.  That card/supply pile is pulled into the center.

"So when you're ready to start, each player will have 3 supply piles in front of them that no one else can buy from, plus supply piles in the middle from which everyone can buy equal to the number of players in the game."

(As stated above, the rest of the rules stay the same.)
-----------------------------------------

I thought this sounded interesting.  I'm not saying we need to try this for our event, especially since there are a bunch of cards I've never even seen.  I'm just putting this post up as a reminder for when you're looking to mix things up and try something new.

If you want the tips on possible strategy construction that followed, I suggest listening to the free podcast which you can find at www.thedicetower.com, or download it from iTunes.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 20:30:54 »
Very Interesting!!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 13:09:56 »
Yeah, that does sound cool, although I'm not yet familiar with much of Dominion in the first place. It's a fun game... something I'm definitely interested in trying more.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 20:22:57 »
Yeah...we're going to need to find a time for you to do that!!  ;D

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 21:41:50 »
I told my wife that if she didn't have anything else in mind already, I'd really like to get Dominion for my birthday and I mentioned that she could probably find it at Emerald City in Clearwater. Tonight she told me, "If you already know what you're going to get, you might as well go buy it yourself." So I said, "If that's what you want me to do, that's fine." Kind of takes the fun out of it, but I was just trying to offer a suggestion since she kept asking me what I wanted. Anyway, I'll be in Clearwater on Wednesday for a "Professional Mixer" for work, so if I have time I might end up swinging by Emerald City to pick up my birthday present.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 18:23:16 »
Nice!!!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 23:23:57 »
Yeah.... would have been cool, but I didn't get out of that thing for work until after 8pm tonight. On top of that, my wife had to take another cat to the vet this evening, and I needed to put gas in my car... along with some other bills that went through just a couple days ago, which means I've got next to no money until payday.... and then I'll be broke again because of bills due before the next payday. At this point I don't even have money to go out to my favorite place for dinner on my birthday.    :'(    Well... anyway, I'm going to get Dominion one of these days. It's a great game!

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 03:06:33 »
So her actual birthday present to you was to let you buy something you wanted.  I guess when you're married, you take what you can get. ::)

If you still want it to be a surprise, you can give her the option of buying one of the two Dominion base games... and by the time you can afford it, the real surprise will come in that you'll get your birthday present for Hanukkah.