Linked Events

• Dragon Graduates College: May 08, 2010

Author Topic: Dragon Graduates College  (Read 5685 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Dragon Graduates College
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:44:39 »
In just a few short days I will have a college degree! It took me a long time to get here; Not because I kept flunking out of classes - as a matter of fact, I'll be graduating with Honors (possibly even double honors - just waiting on those last couple grades to come in)! The problem was that I had little faith in the educational system prior to going into it. I was a kid who literally slept through the last couple years of high school. I could do the work, but it was boring, and I lacked the encouragement and drive to move forward.

I was interested in learning CAD right out of high school, but I couldn't get any help going to a tech school. My biological father just wanted me to work in the factory along side him and my step-dad just wanted me to find some steady work. I ended up working in a few places right after high school, including a couple auto parts assembly factories. I joined the Marines in 1995, planning to make a career of it. Unfortunately, during the last couple years in the Marines I had complications with asthma and had to move on.

While in the Marines, my friend, Joe Flores Jr. (RIP), introduced me to Windows 95, the StarCraft video game, and the "World Wide Web". Prior to that I had some experience with Apple Basic in high school and didn't think much of it, but this really interested me and I went out and bought a new computer shortly after and got internet hooked up at home. That was 1999. Half-Life had recently come out, so that was the first computer game that I bought for my new machine. I spent hours at the computer, digging into things that few people seemed to care about. At one point, while my wife was watching one of those young adult shows about kids in college, one character in the show asked another why he was building a website. The other guy said, "To justify having this computer." So, guess what, I decided I needed to go learn about making websites.

Fast forward a few years. I was working along side some college graduates as a Network Computer Operator and eventually, Tech Support Rep. (Yeah, that still seems backwards to me, but that place thought Tech Support was a move up.) Being completely self taught, I was convinced at that point that college gave no benefits. Although I eventually took a few computer programming courses, having two kids caused me to stop taking classes and focus on family and paying bills. In 2006, I was ready for a slight change in career and I went to work for a small web development company for PHP programming. Again, a field where I was primarily self taught.

In 2008, I realized that my G.I. Bill from the Marines was running out before I'd have a chance to use it. I enjoyed what I was doing, but money was tight, which of course added stress. The company that I was working for worked with lots of colleges and the company owner was a teacher, actually everyone else had a college degree. I got quite a bit of encouragement to go to college while I was there and eventually decided to get back to school full time. Unfortunately, that eventually forced me to choose between my job and my degree, because I was a very slow reader, and since I finally was motivated to learn, I spent hours up late at night studying. It was a very difficult decision, but with only one more year of financial aid coming from the Marines I felt that I had to use those resources and had faith that it would be worth it in the end.

So this is a big step for me. Of course, it wasn't quite as abrupt as taking a giant leap up a step - getting through college was a gradual process, one that increased my self confidence throughout the process. It also gave me some experience in some things that I really liked and some things that I didn't like so much. The thing that surprised me was how I hated some of the classes that I thought I'd like and I really enjoyed some classes that I had previously dreaded. I only wish now that I had done this years ago.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:50:34 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: Dragon Graduates College
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 18:18:37 »
Great to hear... I know it's been a long road for you. 

So, does that mean more time for friends, and gaming with said friends?
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 20:20:54 »
Congrats Dragon!!! There are not many finer feelings in the world than when you successfully complete a long arduous task...WAY TO GO!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:22 »
Yes, I do hope that this means that I'll have more time for you guys again in the near future.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 00:57:03 »
Congrats!

We need to throw you a party, Mr. College Degree. I mean what would college be without a party to bring on the summer.

Woo Hoo!

Your envious buddy,
Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 17:45:28 »
Great idea...perhaps we can bring a couple strippers to his graduation!!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 20:21:01 »
I just got home from my FINAL final exam before getting my degree. I got 98% on the exam for SQL database design and have an overall grade of 98% in that class. In my other class that is yet to have grades turned in, ASP.NET, my average for all the quizzes is 96.56%. The crazy thing is that not a single one of my programs has been graded for the entire semester. I know they work, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only one so I don't know how the instructor for that class is going to grade every single assignment tonight. Maybe she won't. If she just gives me the grade that I got on my quizzes, I'll be happy, but I'm not so sure the other students in the class would want that.

I still have another online class that I'm taking for another week after this. It's not one that is through the college, but through SitePoint, one of my favorite web development sites. Now that I'm finished with the college assignments I'll have some time to catch up in that class because I had gotten a couple days behind since there are daily assignments and I had plenty going on this week already.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 21:33:37 »
Congrats again!  I hope your big day was fantastic!!!!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:12:01 »
Thanks. I had a pretty good day. Other than my wife and kids, only my brother Lazer was able to go to the graduation ceremony as far as I know. The special speaker is a NASA astronaut that went to St. Petersburg College many years ago. (Of course, it was called St. Petersburg Junior College back then.) She brought a slide show from when she went out to the space station which was pretty cool for us and our kids. She said that before she went up into space she thought she'd see the world and think how insignificant people are, but when she got up there she realized just the opposite - that each person has a purpose. She also said that each one of us should strive to do something we like to do, and that is where we'll find our purpose.

We got home late last night. I received a graduation gift from my parents - a new widescreen monitor, quite a treat for me. I got it set up this morning... just a few minutes ago actually, and it looks great. Of course, this is a great gift for me, something I'll use every day, especially with my career and hobbies.