Author Topic: Mosh Pit 101  (Read 3322 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Mosh Pit 101
« on: July 13, 2008, 19:32:05 »
This "Mosh Pit 101" is in response to Wyldwing's comment about the Demon Hunter and Living Sacrifice concert that I went to a couple weeks ago. Questions or comments are welcome. 

Quote from: Wyldwing
How about giving us a "Mosh Pit" 101 class so that those of us who have never experienced one...and never will...can know what it's all about!  :)
Source: http://www.dragonshobbies.com/comments.php?blogid=747

First of all, I think the best songs for moshing with have quick, choppy rhythms, like what you hear in many of Metallica's most popular songs. (Some songs only have portions good for moshing. If you can headbang too a portion of a song, you can probably mosh to it.) 

Now, once you've found a good rhythm for moshing, the next part is to find some people who are interested in joining the fun. Since the center area of the venue is generally the preferred place for moshing, the space may already be open. In this case you'll probably find a mix of people interested in moshing and people who hate moshing. I know, it's strange but the primary reason seems to be that there are people who didn't show up early enough to get right up next to the stage, but they still wanted to get close. This puts them on the outskirts of the moshpit. Some people understand that if they are that close to the area where the moshpit is, they have a chance of getting hit my a mosher who gets pushed/knocked away from the center of the pit. Hopefully this group of moshers is not too hard to find. They are sometimes encouraged by the band playing or by other moshers to get the mosh/circle pit going. Common ways to incite a mosh are by saying "Mosh it up", "Open up", "Get it going", or by moving their hand in the air in a circular motion. 

When the group is small, the moshers generally will move around in a circle quickly, as if to round up invisible cattle, until the group gets big enough that people start bumping into each other in the circle. At that point, they break out of the circle and start slamming into each other toward the center of the circle area. 

At this recent concert I experienced something that the other guys referred to as "Walls." It was kind of like what you'd see in movies about historical wars where there would be a line of people across the field (or in this case, mosh pit) from another line. At some point, someone would start running and both lines would collide in the center of the pit. Sometimes there were wounded who would fall away instantly, others would keep the action going, slamming into other guys until everyone was too injured or tired to continue. 

In two occasions during this concert, a female from the outskirts of that front stage group that I mentioned earlier, jumped into the pit. That broke everything up quickly. As soon as I saw the girl I did my best to avoid colliding with her and immediately broke away from the pit. I ended up next to another guy who said to me, "I can't mosh with a girl." I nodded in agreement. At one other time she got into the pit, after it was already going, and almost instantly the group fell apart again.

Everyone who was fully involved in the pit surely walked away with a bruise or two, if not more. One guy at this show ended up with a bloody lip, I obviously went away with a few bruises myself.

For me, mosh pits are fun and a very important part of the concert going experience. I have been to concerts where there was no mosh pit, or the mosh pit was unaccessible, and those are still entertaining usually, but no where near the fun as getting into the action in the pit. 
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Mosh Pit 101
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 13:45:34 »
I have enjoyed some of the best pits around, including a double concert in one with Gun's N' Roses and Metallica playing in Orlando, to Ozzfest with Disturbed playing right before Slipknot.
I have stood on the edge, not quite getting as close as I would have liked, to standing right in the middle of a puddle pit at a Metallica show at the Fairgrounds.
I like the contact, however, being a large guy, I find that if I am on the edge, obviously trying to stay out of the pit, I get intentionally rammed into by assholes that want to play with the big guy.

Now, if I want to play, I will venture into the pit. If I am with my wife, I won't play.

Is it my fault that the pit opens close to me? Am I required to leave the area?
What is the reason for hitting people that have no intention of playing?

Just thought I would ask.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 18:17:18 »
You have a good point about when the pit opens next to you. I've never purposely hit anyone who I thought was trying to stay out of the pit, but I have been knocked into people on the outskirts of the pit before. I've often wondered why someone would want to stay where they are at if a pit is stationary (seen at small venues) or opens up next to where they're standing. Then again, I'm small enough that I've rarely had a problem moving through a crowd. Personally, if I'm not at all interested in being in the pit, I move. I'd like to know what others do in this situation.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:54 »
My situation was my wife and I got as close as we cared to, then the pit opened and she didn't want to move away from the stage. I had my back to the pit, but kept looking over my shoulder, kind of ruining the concert for me. I kept looking, but once I turned to jam with the concert and some idiot got himself 'pushed' right into my back really, really hard. He knocked me right into my wife almost knocking me down. When I diverted all of my attention to the pit, I could see him telling people to 'push' him into me. I think he thought it was a contest to see if he could knock me down. All he did was ruin my concert and catch my shoulder in his chest three times in a row. If you meet me, you'll see that I don't go down easy and a shoulder to the chest when I'm standing still will take your breath away. I felt good about knocking him on his ass three times. Sucked to miss the band I came to the concert to see though.

Mac

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:42:44 »
That guy sounds like a real jerk.

By the way, what do you think of those "Mosh Pit Dancers" aka "Hard Core Dancers" (whatever you want to call them)? If you haven't seen them, or even if you have, here's a video of one of them getting kicked by another in the dance pit: MoshPit Kick

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:22 »
Never seen a pit like that, but it's been a while for me, couple of years anyway.
I think it looks goofy, if you wanna mosh, move around in a circle, giving the bold a chance to bash you head on, and the weak a chance to hit you when you arent looking. But don't just stand there jamming, looks like a cry for attention, "look at me, look at me, I'm dancin', I'm dancin'".

Nope, not for me, move purposefully through the carnage and take on all comers, I say.

Mac

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:17:24 »
I recently went to two concerts that had pits. i.e. pits meaning a section right in front of the stage, no seating, standing room only, special ticket required.

First off was Motley Cruefest at the Ford Amphitheatre. Before I went I checked on tickets, you had to pay like a hundred dollars to get into the pit by the stage. During the jamming parts of the concert, I only noticed one mosh pit and that looked to be pretty tame from my lawn seat vantage point. We actually left early, so there may have been more/better pits later. Overall, I left thinking that the mosh pit is becoming a thing of the past, at least at the Ford.

Second, I went to see Linkin Park w/ Chris Cornell of Soundgarden at the Ford Amphitheatre. Awesome concert, the two bands I went to see totally rocked. I noticed the same thing with the pit, you had to pay extra to be able to get up there, and nobody was moshing. I was in the lawn seats again, however, an usher came around the very top of the lawn seats, i.e. farthest from the stage, and handed out seat tickets for a seating row about 75% away from the stage. AWESOME. From here I could see almost nobody moshing. I was jammin' in my row, thankfully the row was empty for about 15 seats to the right of me so I had room to roam around. I could see a few people in rows ahead of me jamming as well. Down in the pit, nothing.

I think they sell these tickets for the mosh pit, not knowing that the people that can afford it, just want to get closer to the stage. And the ones that want to mosh, can't afford the extra cash to get that close. I think that kind of sucks and hope the bands realize that the reason the people in the pit aren't dancing around like maniacs, is because they have raised the price above the hard core fans and made it a preppy get together.

Anyway, overall I enjoyed my two concerts, I am just posting this as notification to others, that if you want to jam at a concert and mosh, you may want to stay away from the Ford, or pony up the big bucks and prepare to solo mosh in middle of rich people. ::)

Mac

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:06:29 »
Good to know. I've never been to the Ford Ampitheatre, but I guess I have even less reason to want to go there now. Of course, it's going to depend more on which band shows up, but I'll keep the lack of moshing in mind when I'm considering the price of the ticket. Thanks.