Author Topic: TYCO NISSAN 4x4 upgrade!  (Read 11655 times)

sayer

• Copper Level
TYCO NISSAN 4x4 upgrade!
« on: November 05, 2010, 17:47:23 »
A while back, i stumbled across Hondabiker's TA02SN build in his showroom on Tamiya Club and decided it would make a good starting point for an attempt to build a mostly stock looking Hobby Grade Tyco Bandit.

here's what the first mock up looked like after getting the initial TA01 bits and a lot of the TYco bodies. (the rollbar is actually from a cheap New Bright toy I picked up)

Another angle.

After staring at the black bandit setup for months, (trying to find time etc) I managed to pick up this bad boy (my holy grail)  on eBay as well

For the original project I'd picked up a lot of bodies on eBay

If you'll notice, the holy grail is the alternative color (frequency) to the body on the far left in the lot picture, so on a whim, I put that body on the mock up chassis I had for the black bandit, and was sold. That pretty much made my decision to try to reproduce the truck (the blue one) for me. The first problem though was that I didn't have a suitable rollbar for the truck, so I took a beat up one from the standard bandit, wet sanded the living daylights out of it and sprayed it with Tamiya TS-14

I didn't think to take before and after pics, but it essentially went from the one on the left, to the one on the right

And here's what they look like side by side

I may need to hit up someone later for some custom decals for the Tyco, Nissan and Good Year logos. The rear wheel will be bolted on as soon as I get an extra pair of M-chassis Rally blocks.

Chassis side, I've only managed to add some small Tamiya rod ends, tires and shocks.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
Re: TYCO NISSAN 4x4 upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 19:02:26 »
yo i want the red 4x4 bandit!!!!!!!
p.s. welcome and please post you whole collection for all to se if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 19:30:31 by czstycor/c »
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 19:04:48 »
would you be willing to get rid of some of those bodies? or one? haha
"If there are no such things as stupid questions than what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they suddenly become smart right before they are about to ask a question?"

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 19:47:39 »
sadly, you've pretty much seen my entire Tyco collection.

There's the two 4x4 bandits, a Blaster (original owner) a non working Bandit chassis (49Mhz), a working Bandit chassis(27Mhz) and 4 Bandit bodies (only one of which is red)

I'm hanging on to the red body so that I can eventually restore the working chassis

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 20:45:27 »
to bad, I have the 49 mhz 4x4 bandit. but this is the first time i've seen the 27mhz version. i'm envious, but i want a regular bandit. I am more of a fast traxx collector( which you might have seen if you have looked under the my colletion topic). But i'm expanding though yet planning to get rid of some too.

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 20:52:45 »
Yeah I didn't know Tyco made either of them until I stumbled across it on eBay while looking for a red bandit. I missed getting it the first time (I left the room and got outbid) but it came up again months later as "Buy It now" and I clicked that button so hard, I thought my mouse might split in two.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 20:54:09 »
i gotta know how much?!

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 21:40:14 »
I'm pretty sure I bought it off the guy who outbid me since it's the same truck...so i essentially got ripped off. He won it for around $32.00 and I "bought it Now" for $150. Still happy though since I didn't figure I'd ever see another one.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 21:49:20 »
That looks like a cool project. How long do you think it will be before it is complete?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 21:54:20 »
Well technically, it's mostly done. I've already got all the elecs minus reciever and all the other bits. I just need to cut chassis plates and shock mounts out of aluminum, and that part is stalled due to a lack of funds, time and guts ;)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 23:28:37 »
wow i payed $38.00 for my blue one. i wish i would have seen that red one the first time it came around. i'm kinda aggrivated you have the body of mine. i'm supposed to be the only one!!

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 09:16:42 »
I just wanna find out when and where they made these danged things. I lived through the time of the TYCO heyday and never once saw a commercial for either, and with the exception of you, no record of them online. Even the body I got in the eBay lot was originally from a guy who worked for TYCO.

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 17:11:20 »
yeah, well i didn't even know there was another version. i was kinda after the heyday.

what is the truck up on the box in the picture of the back of both the trucks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 17:48:28 by czstycor/c »

sayer

• Copper Level
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 18:06:10 »
It's a black Baja Bandit body on the non-working Bandit chassis. (it's actually where I got the rollbar from since my other one is broken)

czstycor/c

• Platinum Level
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 18:21:22 »
ah nice. now the shirt in your picture what exactly does it say besides tyco and how do i get one? haha