Author Topic: The Return of Conquest  (Read 29542 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
The Return of Conquest
« on: November 19, 2010, 00:40:10 »
It's been nearly 5 years since I developed my first web-based game - Conquest. Earlier this year I had been talking with TylerChuit about creating another web-based game, however, I haven't made much progress on that yet this year. Due to some interesting situations at work, and some discussions with my wife, I've had a little extra time this week and managed to uncover most of the Conquest game in my backup archive. I've spent a little time restoring the files and correcting some coding problems that made the old code incompatible with current requirements, but aside from that, the game is pretty much right where it was 5 years ago. I know it's not anything that was planned, but I decided that it might give me a bit of a catalyst to get back into the web-based gaming thing again and try to learn from my previous mistakes.

Before the game is made available to everyone on the site, I'll still need to update the user verification. Once that is complete, anyone with an active account on the forum will be allowed to participate in the games. I hope you are as interested in this as I am, since I had always planned to make the game available to the public for any players interested, on an open enrollment basis instead of the "invitation only" method that I was using back when the system crashed.  

By the way, TylerChuit was our previous champion of the game. I don't remember his exact stats, but I do know that he had participated in many games while the system was running before, and he had won most of the games that I remember seeing him in.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: The Return of Conquest
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 20:03:16 »
Great to hear that it's coming back!  I'm very excited about being able to play games with you guys again.  Especially since Robo Runner was such a bust.

Not to give away all my secrets, but I would credit my high win rate on alliances.  A lot of times I would get stuck in one of the land locked areas and would have to ally with the other land locked player to survive. :-*

That, and there might have been an exploit involving moving a general with one army, then transferring the general to another army to move him his second space.  Each individual soldier and general had their own counter as to how many spaces they had moved.  Just something you might want to look into before relaunch. :-[
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 23:56:48 »
Generals are allowed to move two spaces, even though infantry can only move one, so that is a legal move in the game. Where it wouldn't be legal is if a general moved a space and then got on a ship that moved. I believe that may have been an earlier exploit in the system but I'm pretty sure is corrected with this version.

I hope to relaunch the game soon, once I make some modifications for it to work with the current login system. Once the game has been relaunched, I hope that you will let me know if you come across any exploits. In addition, I will try to make other improvements to the game, including features that allow transferring captured generals for ransom.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 00:14:31 »
So is it okay for infantry A to move with general A one territory, then have infantry B and cavalry A move with general A one territory, then have cavalry A move with general B one territory?

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:46:00 »
Yes, that's legal. When my uncle first introduced me to COTE, he showed me those kinds of moves. That's one reason why each combat unit needs to keep track of their own movement points, even though they aren't allowed to move without a General.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:10:16 »
I think it's all ready to go:

http://dragonhobbies.com/games/cote/index.php... or 6sided.com for short. ;)

Please, let me know if you come across any issues.

By the way, there still isn't a confirmation system for starting new games, so please check with people before adding them to a new game. Eventually I'll add that, but I just wanted to get this old version back online.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 19:04:50 »
I'm unsure how to join a game.
I'll try messing around with it some more.
Cool idea, I look forward to trying it again.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 21:41:19 »
There is no way to join a game that is already in progress, but since Ernie hasn't taken his turn in Game III yet, I've created a new game with you and TylerChuit. (Sorry if I incorrectly assumed you guys would be ok with this.)  Setup New Game allows forum members to start a new game with people from their Buddies List.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 23:51:11 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 14:20:03 »
Ok Mac, you're up.

The first thing you'll need to do is assign each of your Infantry units to a General, I'd suggest assigning each of the 4 Infantry that you're starting with to a different General, then move those 4 Generals in different directions to claim 4 new territories.

There is a button at the bottom of the Map page to Finalize Movement and Battle. You need to click that button to go to the next stage of the game, where you'll claim the territories that you've moved into, then collect your income, purchase new units (which will all go to your home territory), and then Finish Your Turn so that Chris can play.

You have 3 days to complete your turn, but finishing earlier will allow the next player to get going right away.

That's a little odd... now that I'm thinking about it, the system appears to have us playing in the wrong order. TylerChuit should be after Ernie (Squee). I'll have to take a look at that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 14:25:10 by Dragon »

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 13:01:18 »
I'm okay with being added to any game, although I was surprised we had started.  :)

Alrighty.  Two things right up top...

1. It appears to be my turn, but all my troops show that they have no movement points available.  There is the option to finalize movement and battle.

2. someone has sent me a message that reads:
To: in Game V
(The message was there, but not who it was from or to.)

Ok... I see the to/from on the map screen once I scrolled down to it, but it wasn't showing up in the game info screen.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 13:41:37 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 16:37:40 »
Sorry about that. Since I manually switched who's turn it was, I had forgotten to add the movement points for your infantry and generals. It's an automatic process and should happen properly from now on.

I'll check out the Game Info for the usernames. This version of the game was modified slightly to use the forum usernames, so I may have missed sections in the changes.

Unfortunately I didn't catch all the bugs before. It's tougher when I'm testing things in games played by me and my alternate account. Maybe I need to get a BETA sticker on the site, like Gmail had stamped on their page for a couple years. ;)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 04:40:09 »
Beautiful.  Your turn, sir. 

Also, FYI, I've named my generals after Ca$h & Gun$ characters.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:56 »
Hey guys, I'm not sure if the email notifications are getting sent out at the start of your turn. It's another thing that I'll need to check into, but due to holiday events, I'm not able to fix this today.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:15:14 »
I had a hard time falling asleep last night, so I did some more work on this game.

Here are a few things I did yesterday:
  • Corrected problems with Generals moving away from ships that they are not off-loaded by removing the "Move" button.
  • Added icons of each unit present on territory page.
  • Added functions for players to set and pay ransoms.
  • Removed some clutter by setting priorities on battlelog information - only High priority information is display (shows battles where the was at least 1 unit defending).

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 14:20:04 »
Sweet.  I can't wait for it to be my turn again so I can try the new stuf out... whenever that happens. ;)