Author Topic: Classic Games  (Read 7177 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Classic Games
« on: August 03, 2008, 22:30:29 »
Chris (TylerChuit) suggested having a themed game day for classic games. Of course, Monopoly was mentioned, along with Masterpiece and Stratego. What other games do you guys consider classics that you think should make up a Classics Game Day?
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
Re: Classic Games
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:06:54 »
A couple of childhood ones come to mind. Not that I am suggesting we play these, not at all.
Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land
Sorry
Trouble

Just to name a few.
I like to play games and talk amongst friends, so count me in when this Classic Game Day goes down.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:24:01 »
I just thought of one I'd like to play again - Waterworks. Does anyone own that old Parker Brothers game?

I think Werewolf should count as a classic too. I remember my uncle telling me about that when I was a kid, but I never got to play it. TylerChuit, don't you own that Werewolf card game?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 23:54:11 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 20:54:51 »
Waterworks is AWESOME!!!

I would LOVE to play Monopoly!!  Sorry is really fun too.

Here are a few:

Mille Bornes
Mhing
Clue
PayDay
Battleship
Jenga
Scrabble

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 23:53:49 »
I suppose, if there was enough interest from others, that I would join you playing Monopoly. My only hope would be that someone could execute a swift victory to lessen the pain.

Clue is one of my favorite classics. I've got Clue: Master Detective (which was available only for a couple years in the mid/late 80s) in case we have more than 6 players, or just want a little more variety.

I also have Pathfinder, which is similar to Battleship, so I guess it could come in as a filler at the same time as another game. Pente could also come into the two-player collection.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:42 »
I do have Werewolf, but that's an 8 - 16 player game.

I would like to play Sorry, and Dominoes (Double 9s preferable with 4 players).

I saw a copy of Waterworks at my folks house a while back, but since they remodeled, it could be anywhere.  I'll look around there for it if I get a chance, but I believe it has no rulebook, so I hope someone remembers how to play.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 13:47:44 »
8-16 players... Hmmm... sounds like we need to start doing some mass recruitment for the gaming group.

I'm pretty sure I can remember how to play Waterworks even if we can't find the rules.